Solved! Lenovo T430 startup problems

May 28, 2019
Evening Everyone,

So more of a check my work thing here. I have been having an issue with my old Lenovo T430's battery not charging. Worked fine when plugged in or with an externally charger battery. Not a real issue.

This evening however it is now having start up issues. "Thinkpad" screen comes up...and then just a dark screen, then shuts off. Took out the battery, reset the CMOS, plugged it back in and it booted fine. Shut down, put the battery back in (0 charge), plugged it in and same "ThinkPad", no boot issue.

So here is the question. Could I buy a parts Lenovo t430 (i5, mine is an i7) and Frankenstein a new machine to fix these battery and start up issues?

my logistic is taking apart the power assembly and resetting the CMOS will cost just about the same time and money as changing over to a new chassis. Honestly if the battery charged in the machine i would just get a new CMOS. But if i can fix both problems why not. So can it be done? any help is appreciated.

Solution
It could be the battery, but it could also be the charger.

Since you said it works fine when you take out the battery, and just use the charger, it makes me wonder if the charger itself is going bad and only putting out enough power to run the device, and not charge the battery. If that is the case, then having the battery in (and it dead) could be the cause. However, it could also be the battery is the issue and is causing problems. Making it need to be replaced.

Sorry can't be definitive here as without testing it, you won't be able to tell. Unless you have another charger (same specs as the one it has now) and see if that will resolve it. If it still does it, while using another charger that does work fine with another machine...
It could be the battery, but it could also be the charger.

Since you said it works fine when you take out the battery, and just use the charger, it makes me wonder if the charger itself is going bad and only putting out enough power to run the device, and not charge the battery. If that is the case, then having the battery in (and it dead) could be the cause. However, it could also be the battery is the issue and is causing problems. Making it need to be replaced.

Sorry can't be definitive here as without testing it, you won't be able to tell. Unless you have another charger (same specs as the one it has now) and see if that will resolve it. If it still does it, while using another charger that does work fine with another machine, then I would start with the battery replacement.

Solution
I would not try to fix yours but rather replace it with a working T430 and swap your drive into it. Buying a broken (parts) laptop you would have no idea where exactly the issue is with that system so swapping around motherboards and such is just a waste of time and money spent. A good used 430 should be about $200, maybe 250 if it was upgraded with a solid state and 8-16gb of RAM.

You can also simply try a good battery, but cheap ones can cause issues, and a real Lenovo battery is close enough to the cost of a full system that it may not be worth getting one unless you are OK with trying, then just keeping it around for the replacement laptop.

May 28, 2019
I appreciate the responses, thank you.

I have tried new batteries, chargers, and switch out the CMOS battery a few times in the past with no change. Hence I am figuring moving my ram (16), processor/motherboard (I7), and hard drive to a machine without power issues is cost effective but I may be wrong. Also thinking about a 2nd hard drive in the optical slot.

Also kinda interested to see if I can do it. Anyone ever tried before to move a motherboard in a Lenovo? Is it worth it? Again thank you for the replies.

S

I appreciate the responses, thank you.

I have tried new batteries, chargers, and switch out the CMOS battery a few times in the past with no change. Hence I am figuring moving my ram (16), processor/motherboard (I7), and hard drive to a machine without power issues is cost effective but I may be wrong. Also thinking about a 2nd hard drive in the optical slot.

Also kinda interested to see if I can do it. Anyone ever tried before to move a motherboard in a Lenovo? Is it worth it? Again thank you for the replies.

S

Your power issues may be coming form the motherboard. You should find a fully working T430 without issues and move the drive and RAM to that.