lenovo thinkpad 530 dedicated graphics card wont turn on

Tsvetan

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Just bought Lenovo thinkpad 530 with dedicated graphics card (geforce 635m).

Selected the preffered graphics card from the drivers, however when I monitor the GPU activity with GPU-Z, I see that the Nvidia card is not used at all no matter what I do.

Note: I have installed the latest drivers on both Intell 4000 and the nvidia 635m graphic cards.

Went to the BIOS options and there is no option to switch to the dedicated graphics but only the following:

=> Integrated video card
or
=>Switchable mode

My question: I want the dedicated graphics card to be permanently switched on, can anyone provide a solution to this problem?

If not possible I still have 5 days to return the laptop and get refund but I rather not do that if there is an alternative.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Download the Optimus Test Tools and check what status your optimus is in.

When I was setting up Optimus for my laptop, I found that I couldn't use the latest Nvidia drivers and needed to use the drivers provided by my laptop's manufacturer. Maybe that was a unique case, but I would at least recommend you try going to your Laptop manufacturer's support/driver page and install the drivers they provide.

And it sounds like Switchable mode should be the BIOS setting for Optimus, so leave that enabled of course.

Finally, have you made sure that Optimus has not been disabled due to a power saving feature? I also have to run with a certain power mode before Optimus will work.

Let me know what you find!

DonQuixoteMC

Tsvetan

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
Optimus test tool shows that the Nvidia card is on.
I have installed the drivers recommended by Lenovo.

Installed and ran 3d mark 2011 and this time the nvidia card was used.

When I open the Nvidia Control Panel => 3d settings=> program settings
Internet explorer, chrome, WMP and few other are locked to use the integrated graphic processor - then I decided to install VLC and it is also locked to use the integrated card.

Then I found this:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3330

I would appreciate any help with this issue.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
You want the integrated card always on so that all programs use the dedicated card?

You'll really only see a difference in games between the two GPUs. The HD 4000 is plenty strong to render anything you'll find outside of a video game. If you still really want the GT 635M on all the time then we'll try to figure something out, but as long as the 635M is on when you play games, I don't think you have a problem.

Tsvetan

Estimable
Feb 16, 2014
I think you are right about the browsing experience but I am not sure if the card would hold strong when watching some HD stuff. I hope that I can find a videoplayer which isn't locked with the integrated card.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

Well, I've never run into any problems with my HD 4000, but don't take my word for it. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/pc-components/3437734/do-i-need-discrete-graphics-chip/