Lenovo Thinkpad R60e Upgrade

SnarkCorn

Estimable
Jan 16, 2016
Hi Guys! So, I own a Lenovo Thinkpad R60e. It has not been used for a very long time and it is just sitting and collecting dust. I was just wondering whether I can use the body of that laptop and add new parts like the i7-7700HQ with a compatible motherboard and the required size (have not checked on what ATX to buy yet) along with 8GB - 16GB RAM and an M.2 Samsung 950 Evo 250 GB. I am not going to buy a graphics card because it would be too overkill for the display as it has a 1024 x 768 resolution display. Only thing I am worried about is that it is an old laptop and might have some not required cutouts for the older motherboards and might be missing some cutouts for the newer motherboard. Can someone please advise me on whether this plan would work or that I should just build a whole new laptop?

Solution
Laptops are not like desktops...

You cannot simply buy a "generic" laptop motherboard and place it in your laptop. Laptop motherboards are designed to fit a specific laptop model.
honestly you are best off getting a new laptop to avoid any complication.the i7-7700hq is a soldered on cpu so it will come with the motherboard of its own.not to mention the alignment of the motherboard itself,the connectors,heatsink and cooling would be a problem.