Review Lenovo ThinkPad X13 (AMD) review

Nov 9, 2020
I'm not going to say that the review is inherently unfair; taken on its own I don't see enough of a bias to be worth comment-- especially given that the assessment of the X13 is generally positive.

But I've noticed this trend regarding reviews for ThinkPads wherein they are compared to competing products which are not of the same product class (or not of the same generation). The impression left with the reader/viewer is that the choice of a Thinkpad is always a sacrifice one makes for a robust build and/or excellent keyboard. But that impression doesn't really hold up when like is compared with like.

Imagine reading a review of a Dell Inspiron which drew comparisons with it and a MacBook Pro. Perhaps there is such a review, but I'd expect that most reviews would probably use business-class HP, Acer, or Asus models for comparison purposes. But when it comes to ThinkPads -- from "Premium Ultrabook" X1-Series all the way down the range to entry-level E-Series -- all ThinkPads get compared with the top-of-the-line machines from the competition.

Nov 11, 2020
I've been waiting for my X13 with Ryzen 7 - 32GB RAM - 512GB SSD and 4G LTE since July 2020. Was promised delivery in late October and now delivery date has slipped again to mid-December. Nothing else available in the market with similar specs. Desperately need to replace my ageing X1 but I need a laptop that's portable with LTE and with lots of CPU and RAM. Nothing else really fits the bill.

Last edited:

Gaius Gracchus

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
We got 2 of the X13s and ordered the 1920x1080 IPS FHD 500 nit screens. The screens we got are some of the worst we've ever seen. The privacy guard is a useless joke in that it renders the entire screen dark even if you are in front of it. Furthermore, with the privacy screen off the screen is still dark with shadows and there is no viewing angle that does not have shadows. Even sitting directly in front of the screen you see shadows. And it is not bright at all- 500 nits is supposed to be bright but even on the highest setting the screen is not very bright. And how this is considered to be an IPS with a wide viewing angle is beyond me. Pitiful. We are shipping them back.