LENOVO THINKPAD X201 good for computer programming?

hhhlga89

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I am going to major in computer programming and want to know if this is a good laptop for computer programming. I'm not a gamer..but I've heard that graphics are important and that "integrated" graphics aren't good. Would this be an issue for me? If it helps here is the course outline for my school:
http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/x3223.xml?id=56

particular thinkpad specs:

Screen: 12.1-inch WXGA (1280 x 800) LED Backlit (Matte finish)
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional (64bit)
Processor: Intel Core i5-540M (2.53GHz, 3MB Cache)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 RAM (2GB + 2GB)
Storage: 750GB HDD
Wireless: Intel 6200 802.11AGN, Bluetooth
Graphics: Intel GMA HD Integrated Graphics
Power: 94Wh 9-cell, 65W 20V AC adapter
Dimensions: 11.6 x 9.2 x 0.8 - 1.4"
Weight: 3.52lbs
thanks alot with any help you can offer, thanks.

This can be true for some types of activities but for computer programming and the usual student and home office workloads integrated graphics is just fine. X201 is an older model now but it should do just fine for a small, lightweight all-rounder student notebook.

For some home entertainment tasks (especially gaming) integrated graphics is less than ideal.

bill_023

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
No worries, if you are getting it for cheap then why not. That i5 you're getting is really good. Intregrated graphics are perfect but will handle anything your running. The fact that you're not gaming means that there will be no issue. Otherwise programming as I know it is typing raw text into a text editor (Notepad, Notepad++, Dev C++) and using a compiler or IDE to compile it and then run it. Debugging and compiling are the only two tasks that will task the CPU, and even at that they won't stress the computer by much. You will use Word, your browser and some other MS Office programs. So no problem. Just don't pay too much.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Unless size is a major issue go for something with a larger screen and higher resolution (or an external monitor). You will want to kill something if you have to code for hours on a 12 inch screen. Unless the price for that laptop is really good, it might be worthwile to get a cheaper newer laptop