Lenovo U430 boot error, is my HDD dead?

PrfJennings

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello!

My Lenovo U430 is giving me some weird issues.

When it boots it would shortly turn off after 4 seconds, after backing it up and using the recovery button on the side to boot into the recovery partition I was able to boot again and install several updates and reboot it. After I turned it off however it went right back to the old problem. If I boot into the recovery partition, then reboot it out of that, I get back into windows.

I've disabled the UEFI boot and secure boot as well as windows "fast boot"

Also, upon switching to legacy boot mode, every so often I get a error message saying

"Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.55a
PXE-EG1: Media test failure, check cable."

I assume this is the PC bypassing every other device and attempting to network boot.

What I don't understand is how I can get the PC to boot after I boot up the recovery partition.

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

The error that you're actually getting has something to do with your HDD. (PXE-EG1: Media test failure, check cable) What you can also try to to set your HDD in BIOS as the first boot device and while your in BIOS run a SMART test as well that should tell you if it's really the HDD if it fails. I've read some forums about this and most of them ended up getting a new HDD and reinstalling windows in it.