Lenovo U430 Touch turns itself off

sewerurchin

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hi,

I have a U430 Touch that was upgraded to Windows 10. Recently, I found that I was unable to turn it on even when the charger was connected to it. I found that I could make it run if I removed the battery. Yesterday I got a new battery for it. It ran for a few hours with the battery installed and the charger connected, but eventually turned itself off again. While it was working, the charging status was "0% available, charging". I did a gauge reset on it, but that did not help. Lenovo's energy management software says the battery is good. Now when I try to turn it on with the battery installed, it runs for about ten seconds and turns itself off. I can't turn it on again unless I unplug the charger from the laptop and plug it back in, but it still only runs for about 10 seconds. Trying to boot from a USB drive produces the same results. I cannot upgrade the BIOS because it has to have at least 30% battery power before it will do so. Deleting the Microsoft ACPI device did not help with the charging problem. Even tried a different charger, but that didn't help either. I'm out of ideas about what to try next.

Thanks.

Solution
During boot, after LENOVO fades up but Windows is not loading yet press the F8 key a few times and you will see the advanced boot options. You will need to "disable auto reboot on crash". The next time it crashes on reboot it will will hang on screen - take a picture and post it.

sewerurchin

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Cleaned it as best I could and sprayed it with DeoxIT D5. Still turns off after about 5 seconds.

During boot, after LENOVO fades up but Windows is not loading yet press the F8 key a few times and you will see the advanced boot options. You will need to "disable auto reboot on crash". The next time it crashes on reboot it will will hang on screen - take a picture and post it.

Solution