Lenovo w530, hooking up to ultra-wide display (single or dual monitors)

avilner

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Dear netters,

I have a Lenovo W530, with a hard-wired nVidia card that cannot be replaced, and allows for a maximum external display resolution (per Lenovo's specs) of: 2560x1600 (DisplayPort)@60Hz; 2048x1536 (VGA)@75Hz; 1920x1200@60Hz (single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915)

I currently have one external 24" monitor which is plugged into the laptop's VGA port, which gives me 1920x1200. While this setup works somewhat, I am looking to expand into the "ultra-wide" space.

I see that there are monitors that go into 3440 x 1440 space, which is where I would like to be. With my built-in GPU not allowing such res, I seem to have a couple of options:
1. An external, USB3 (?) based hub that allows for dual monitor plug in.
2. An external hub that has its own built in graphics card, which will allow for higher resolutions.

Ideally, I would like to achieve the max possible horizontal resolution with either one or two monitors (I can put another 24", with 1920x1200).

Any recommendations on the _reliable_ hardware that will allow me to accomplish the task? OR any other alternatives that I can look into?

I am running Windows 7 Pro x64.

Thank you in advance!

--Alex

Solution
I would not add any external USB video cards to that laptop, it will be way worse speed and quality. I would get a second monitor with the same resolution (same brand and model if you can get it) as your current monitor. If you get a docking station for the W (used ones are very cheap) you can have both monitors connected, have the laptop screen in use also, and can detach it all with one push of a button.

avilner

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

Are you suggesting just a regular docking station with another monitor output? Something like this:
http://

It does have its own monitor outputs, but... this is just a pass-through, no? So, the fact that I already have a monitor plugged into VGA port on my laptop is eating into nVidia's ability to handle another monitor that hangs off the docking station.

Please advise..

Thank you!

Yes a dock like that but not that model, the W has their own docking stations that are different from the T models.

You should be able to run 3 screens off the W laptop with no issues, that is a high end model designed for pro graphic use.

Keep in mind that you may want to get an extra power cord for the thing also to keep plugged in with the dock.

avilner

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

As it turned out, with Lenovo w530 having two ports (VGA and mini DisplayPort), a monitor can be plugged into EACH, and they coexist happily with laptop's own display. So, my final setup is: laptop's own, and 2 x 24" monitors (one via VGA, one via mDP), each 1920x1200.

Yes that works, but a dock is a lot neater to setup and use with multiple monitors and a real keyboard and mouse which is why I recommended it, especially seeing how used ones are cheap.

Solution