Question Lenovo Won't Boot Past Splash Screen: Related to Lenovo Docking Station

Oct 6, 2019
Context: Lenovo C940 and a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station Type 40AC. I only use Hibernate mode and Power On/Off. I have disabled all Sleep / Modern Standby modes.

Problem: If I put the laptop to hibernate while it's either connected or disconnected to the docking station, and wake it in the opposite condition (if it was connected, but I take the laptop away from the docking station while it's hibernated, then wake it), it won't get past the Lenovo splash screen. The spinning circle doesn't appear. It stalls.
The laptop boots fine if I press the power button to turn it off and on again, but now I've hard reset my laptop -- and I've had to do that far too frequently lately.
Furthermore, I've even noticed that if I leave it plugged into the dock while it's hibernated, and come back many hours later, it also exhibits the problem.
TO PUT IT SIMPLY: If the laptop is put to hibernate or woken in a different state (plugged in or not, to the docking station), than its last change of state, it can't get past the splash screen.

I already did Lenovo's suggestion of resetting my Bios settings to default (not that I ever changed them...). All firmware on the dock, and laptop drivers and bios is updated.

Thoughts on further troubleshooting? So far, no one has been able to offer anything. I can't believe there's no error log to identify what's stopping things at the Splash Screen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 6
C Laptop Tech Support 4
S Laptop Tech Support 0
D Laptop Tech Support 3
Mercury619 Laptop Tech Support 1
darhanger Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 5
F1yingSquid Laptop Tech Support 10
D Laptop Tech Support 1
spartanunit117 Laptop Tech Support 2