Lenovo Working on 23-Inch Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agustus69

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
What bender3000 said. That's ridiculous and defeats the whole purpose of a small, portable device. I bet they end up giving these away.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
A lot of the devices have small screens so I am not surprised by the announcement. I'm just not sure how practical it would be. I still like my desktop pc with a large monitor best.

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Improve the sensor capabilities, and you've got a cheap and somewhat portable alternative to MS Surface.

Totally different usage paradigm, so wrong to let it be mis-marketed as a "Tablet".

G

plonk an i5 in it, make the screen hi res and give it a stylus, sell it for under 1.5k and you got a Cintiq killer

G

They need to just come up with a wireless touchscreen display that can be syncd to your cell phone or desktop or laptop. Then the tablet market would be dead as you could just display and control your smartphone from the wireless display or your desktop/laptop.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
@stm1185
I think that is called remote desktop which iOS and Android can handle...

On the subject, if that tablet came out it's something i could see my self using. I hust find the 7-8" tablets a bit too bulky to carry at all times and too small and underpowered to use on my couch without sacrificing the experience... I still havent found anything that i need to do outside the house (email checking, looking up info about stuff, passing some time etc that my iphone (or any android device for that matter) cannot handle more than adequately. On the other hand, using an 8inch tablet on my couch to browse the web and be productive and quick is just not enough. For that i need a more desktop-OS-like interface and a faster processor which will allow me to do stuff properly. I ususally have around 10 pages open, with a couple of other programs inthe background and my messengers on the side of the screen. The 7-8 inch thingys are just not enough.
I believe that with a larger tablet and a smartphone your covered. You will only use the desktop for processor intensive apps (video encoding, photoshoping and ofcourse "hardcore" (i mean not argry-birds-style) gaming. The 8inch is just a gimmick for me, 19-20" would probably be what i'd opt for.

w4t634wtgsg

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Its a slate, not a tablet. But its interesting. I wouldnt buy one, i have no need. But i can see some situations where it might come in handy. Design meetings maybe. Traditional board game replacement. Sketching.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I don't see anything wrong with a 23inch screen that is lightweight and multitouch. I don't need it to have a battery, processor, OS, storage etc.
It might have kinect style cameras, and with those, no need for the touch screen. Stereoscopic 3d could be nice also.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
"It's obviously not for full mobility use, but it could be moved from room to room in the house and used with a full keyboard, or as a television," he said. "Or you could lay it on a table top and use it for family games."

Alternatively, on each corner of the tablet you could screw in 4 table legs and use it as a Microsoft Surface bedside table

Status
Not open for further replies.