Lenovo x201 Turns Off @ Sign In Screen (Battery + Plugged Yet Dies)

iMeghz

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
I have a Lenovo x201 laptop, It has been sent back for repairs from employee.

At first, the fan seemed to be not working causing overheating. I then replaced the fan however the laptop kept shutting down as soon as sign in screen showed up.

I think there is a FAN issue where it doesn't run because of low computer usage causing the laptop to crash.

I have found a workaround which is a weird way.

So if I REMOVE the battery from the back and PLUG in the adapter, the laptop works just fine. I have to care to not unplug the cord accidentally. When I start the laptop + signin everything works fine, and I can hear the fan spinning where before, when the battery was plugged in, It used to idle causing a crash.

Now if I put the battery back in. WHILE it is PLUGGED IN and on desktop screen, it SHUTS OFF in a matter of seconds.

I concluded that the BATTERY causes the FAN to IDLE which in turn shuts the LAPTOP off because it is thinking the FAN is FAULTY.

Now I am on a domain at the moment, so I cannot download a CPU Fan Management Program to keep the fan at a steady X%.

ANY IDEAS ? Thanks in advance.

-Meghz

*** UPDATE ****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVBgtU3X1nk

Added a quick video of what is happening, my first video ever so please excuse me.

Solution
You could try this troubleshooter that comes with Windows.

Step 1. Open Control Panel
Step 2. Click System and Security
Step 3. Click Security and Maintence
Step 4. On the bottom, click Troubleshooting
Step 5. Click Hardware and Sound
Step 6. Click Hardware and Devices
Step 7. Run the Troubleshooter

This will detect any hardware problems. Good luck!

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017
The only thing that I could think of which is the most common issue is that the fan is (somehow) not getting enough air and can't work while the battery is inserted. Is the fan close to the battery?

Ill91_Gamer

Commendable
Aug 9, 2017
You could try this troubleshooter that comes with Windows.

Step 1. Open Control Panel
Step 2. Click System and Security
Step 3. Click Security and Maintence
Step 4. On the bottom, click Troubleshooting
Step 5. Click Hardware and Sound
Step 6. Click Hardware and Devices
Step 7. Run the Troubleshooter

This will detect any hardware problems. Good luck!

Solution