Lenovo Y40 Won't Boot - No Video

r0hda

Estimable
Jan 18, 2015
Hey folks,

I'm having some troubles with my Lenovo Y40 laptop. I was at work bored on a conference call, and decided to poke around the BIOS and see if I could lower the temperature at which the fans kick in on high. It always seemed like it was running hotter than it should be. Obviously I wasn't being careful enough, because when I hit Save & Exit, it restarted and I've had a black screen ever since. The fans tun on, the screen flickers slightly but stays black, and the HDD won't spin up. No splash screen, no POST, even the recovery button won't do anything. The light on the Caps Lock key won't light up, so I don't even think that has power. There also aren't any beep codes.

I work as a System Administrator so I'm no stranger to troubleshooting, but this one has me stumped. I'm hoping someone has an idea that I haven't thought of so I don't have to beg for mercy from the warranty department at Lenovo. Here's what I've tried so far:

• ■ Unplugged it, opened it up, took out the battery (it's not a normal swappable battery), held the power button down for a couple minutes, then plugged it back in and tried turning it on. Nothing.
    ■ Unplugged the CMOS battery from the motherboard and did the same steps as above. Still nothing.
    ■ Left the CMOS battery, regular battery, and charger unplugged for a full day before trying it again. Still nothing.
    ■ Moved the RAM around. I've got 2 sticks of memory and I've tried every possible configuration of sticks/slots. Still nothing.
    ■ Connected it to an external display via the HDMI out. As long as I've had this laptop, nothing will display on an external monitor until the Windows login screen comes up, so this wasn't any help either. Along with this, I also connected a USB keyboard, thinking maybe an external keyboard would allow me to type the encryption password and let it boot. Still nothing.

Is there anything I missed?

Thanks!

Can you get any activity with all ram removed?
I'll suggest attempting with ram and CMOS battery removed on adapter power only (just the CPU, heatsink and fan hooked up). If nothing at that point, put in CMOS battery (but not ram yet) and try again.

I am assuming you've looked over the motherboard for any obvious signs of damage