Solved! Lenovo y470 close to release?

Bomino

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
so I was just about ready to purchase the envy 14 beats edition, but then i looked on lenovo's site and say a great looking y470 and took a peek. apparently its gonna have nvidias new "550m" in it which seems to be a big upgrade from the 5650. they say its starting price will be $900, so im contemplating whether to wait for it or just stick with my envy 14. i mean, right now, i can get the envy for $1100 with 580m processor, 5650 gpu, 640gb 7200rpm hdd, and 6gb ram. also, assuming the "starting" $900 for the y460 is with an i3, 250gb hdd, and 4gb ram (assumption is based on the lowest options given in spec sheet: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/ww/pdf/Y470_datasheet.pdf), I'm not too sure an extra $200 in customizing will match it to the deal i have on the envy. thoughts/advice?

Solution
Here are a few thoughts on the Envy 14. The Envy was an award winning laptop - last year. Now it's very last year and in great need of an update. Three key issues that you might consider:
* The Envy processor has not been updated to the Sandy Bridge version. The newer Sandy Bridge I-3 processors are said to be a step up from the even the older version I-7 processors.
* The Envy does not include the option of a USB 3.0 port. This is the new standard (10x faster than USB 2.0). This is an option on the new Ideapads.
* The Envy Beats is a great audio system for headphone sound only. Unfortunately, the speakers are lap-oriented - not upward facing as with the Ideapad JBL speakers. This means that they're subject to muffling in...
Hello Bomino;

The Lenovo website is saying 'April'. If you're not in a rush you might want to wait see if you can find an early review on the Lenovo. And maybe by then you'll know if HP plans an Envy refresh anytime soon with the Sandy Bridge CPU and what ever new GPU they plan to match with it.

dmdmdmd

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Here are a few thoughts on the Envy 14. The Envy was an award winning laptop - last year. Now it's very last year and in great need of an update. Three key issues that you might consider:
* The Envy processor has not been updated to the Sandy Bridge version. The newer Sandy Bridge I-3 processors are said to be a step up from the even the older version I-7 processors.
* The Envy does not include the option of a USB 3.0 port. This is the new standard (10x faster than USB 2.0). This is an option on the new Ideapads.
* The Envy Beats is a great audio system for headphone sound only. Unfortunately, the speakers are lap-oriented - not upward facing as with the Ideapad JBL speakers. This means that they're subject to muffling in real world use and have a limited audio chamber - and so limited bass.

Hope this helps.

Solution