Lenovo y470p or HPDV6 (Need to pick by tomorrow!)

tinywolves

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Okay I am sure you are all familiar with both these specs but here goes anyway.
I am going for i5 because well...I have a gaming desktop and why would I need it if it get so hot and doesn't last at all. Unless it's a HUGE performance boost I don't see a point. If anything, I'll install an SSD and more RAM.

LENOVO y470p http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/webca/LenovoPortal/en_CA/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=1D219C64FE8C34F5ADB401395C59CAC6
(First one on left)

i5-2450M 2.5 ghz

Radeon 7690 (I don't know what version, pretty sure it's the DDR3 one with 725 MHz core or 900 MHz core or DDR5 600 MHz core, if someone knows please tell me!)

6GB RAM (upgradable to 8GB)

14" screen

500 GB

*No support for 5 ghz network I think (Does that matter?)

HP DV6 - 6C50CA: http://h20386.www2.hp.com/CanadaStore/Product.aspx?pdetail=P216297

SAME CPU

Radeon 7690 XT (This card has higher clock speeds)

6GB RAM (upgrading to 16GB, WTF?!??!?!?

15.6" screen

*I will not be upgrading it to 1080p. I will be okay as I would be playing anything on here in windowed mode. I play even on the desktop windowed so it doesn't matter.

I have been thinking the hp just cause the gpu is better *I think* and I hate Lenovo's 15% restocking fee

But I am scared the HP will break on me. Lenovo seems superior in build quality.

So please help. :love:

Y470P has the 750Mhz DDR3 version. RAM runs @ 900 Mhz in both versions.
Performance wise, it's almost identical with the 7690M 600Mhz core DDR5 version thanks to the higher core clock.

Lenovo is 14" and 2.63 kg vs HP is 15" and 2.63 kg. If that matters to you.

Ruggedness and reliability over time. Lenovo might have a slight edge over HP but you could get a 'Lenovo lemon'. Overall, if you take good care of your notebook I think chances are it works out about the same.

Found a long Lenovo Y470P forum thread with posts from actual owners.
They posted a GPU-z screen shot that confirm DDR3 version.

It's probably worth looking over: Lenovo Y470P topic
One item mentioned. The markings on the notebook are just Y470. It's not marked as Y470P. That's normal and it's the HD 6790 that makes it a P model.

A word of caution as an owner of a Lenovo IdeaPad Y470. The CPU gets hot when playing games. I've read through some of the comments in the link WR2 provided and there were a few comments of the CPU reaching 90C on the Y470p laptop. The only difference between the Y470 and Y470p is the Radeon HD 7690m.

Based on my review, the CPU temp does in fact reach 90C - 92C. While testing GTA 4 the CPU hit 99C and it started to throttle down. It was easy to tell 'cause the game started to stutter. I purchased a laptop cooler (Cooler master U2 with 2 moveable fans), but it had no effect on the temperature.

I've read a few professional reviews of the Y470 after I purchased mine and those reviews also confirmed the 90C+ temps. But the reviewer were unconcerned about the temps because the laptop remained stable and the CPU did not throttle. Then again, they did not test GTA 4 on the laptops.

Laptops have two main enemies; an incompetent owner and heat.

You can read my Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 review in the following link.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/70694-35-lenovo-ideapad-y470-laptop-review

Overall, I would choose the HP over the Lenovo.

However, HP's quality control took a dive in recent years which led to a few class action lawsuits against them for certain laptops. Have they made any design improvements for more current laptops? That remains to be seen.

Pyree

Distinguished
^DV6 seems fine. I tested it (i7-2630QM and 6770m) on Unigine benchmark overnight and it didn't overheat and shut down like my comparisons laptop ASUS N61 (i5-430m 5730 overclocked).

But then I may be getting a HP gem and jaguarskx got a Lenovo lemon.

tinywolves

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Hm thanks for the speedy responses guys. I decided to wait for the new z models at least. Why bother with an older computer when some affordable new ones are right across the corner.

I would have gone with lenovo, because well...hp just isn't a brand a like particularly.
I usually go asus for my machines.

Thank you.

The Lenovo Y470 / Y480 / Z470 / Z480 all seem to use the same chassis based on some research. The only thing different are the components. The Y series is Lenovo's "gaming laptop" while the Z series is "mainstream". The difference is the Z series uses less powerful discrete graphics than what's available for the Y series.

It seems that the reason why everyone who measures the CPU temp in the Y470 is getting 90C+ is because of the thermal paste. Karneey, in the link below decided to replace the thermal paste with Phobya HeGrease Extreme and his CPU temps immediately dropped by 20C+. While he did not go into any real details, it seems Lenovo did not do a very good job about placing the thermal paste.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/577494-lenovo-y470-y570-official-owners-thread-268.html

There is one caveat to replacing the thermal paste... it voids your warranty. Generally speaking, not a big deal, but I added the option for a 2 year warranty extension for my Y470; I think it add an extra $30 - $50 to the total cost. I originally planned to replace the thermal before I bought the Y470, but that wasn't going to be until after the warranty expired (3 years in total).

tinywolves

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
The new z that is coming out is going to be more powerful than the y470, and since it's a multimedia laptop, the price is going to be fine for something brand new.

This laptop doesn't need to run anyway super well or anything. It's going to be gamed on maybe for 2 hours if anything sometimes with lowered setting.
I have my desktop for gaming and this laptop is basically going to my sister for her to play WoW on or whatever when I need my desktop.

As long as you are aware that of the potentially hot running CPU... I don't know how much WoW stresses the CPU, but if it is similar to Crysis, Fallout 3 or Mass Effect then It'll likely hit 90C. If it's as stressful as GTA 4, then it'll be 99C; I really doubt it will be that stressful. If it WoW only stresses the CPU like King's Bounty: Armored Princess, then the CPU will likely be around 82C.