Solved! Lenovo y50-70 fps fluctuation

Oct 10, 2019
Hello! I have a Lenovo Y50-70 with gtx 960m, and whenever I would play games, my fps would decrease. This would decrease for a few mins, then the fps would go back up to 48 fps (i have a 48 refresh rate). It would stay up to 48 fps just for a few mins then it would drop back down to 20 fps.

This happens to all games ranging from 2008-2017. (I played COD4 and it was literally fluctuating without v-sync).

I did everything from adding ram, changing power settings, overclocking, etc. And it would still have the same result, fps drops for a few mins then fps stability after a few mins.

And this has been going on for years.

I downloaded EVGA Precision X1 so that I could overclock, and what I noticed is that my temp would stay at around 73-75 C, then it would increase up to 88-89 C. When the temperature IS increasing, the FPS would be stable (48 fps), but then when the temp would gradually decrease to 73-75 C, my fps would drop to 20 fps.

Basically, fps increase as temp increases, and then, fps decrease when temp decreases.

Not sure, but maybe there is a correlation to this?

Help pls, this has been going on for a few years.

Here's the full specifications of my laptop:

Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134)
Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16,384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16,296MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 12203 MB
Display Memory: 4055 MB
Shared Memory: 8148 MB

Solution
Yes, the temp is the factor. The only way to resolve it is to resolve the temperature issue. This would mean cleaning out the interior of the laptop to remove dust, debris, etc. and make sure the vents are clear. Then make sure you are not running other things at the same time as games, as to put less of a work load on the CPU and GPU.

Should that not be enough, then you may want to replace the thermal paste and see if this helps lower the temps.

After that you are looking at additional cooling methods. Like where you keep the device, added cooling unit(s), fans, etc.

NOTE: If the laptop is under warranty, do not od the work yourself or have someone else do it, instead contact the manufacturer about a repair.
Yes, the temp is the factor. The only way to resolve it is to resolve the temperature issue. This would mean cleaning out the interior of the laptop to remove dust, debris, etc. and make sure the vents are clear. Then make sure you are not running other things at the same time as games, as to put less of a work load on the CPU and GPU.

Should that not be enough, then you may want to replace the thermal paste and see if this helps lower the temps.

After that you are looking at additional cooling methods. Like where you keep the device, added cooling unit(s), fans, etc.

NOTE: If the laptop is under warranty, do not od the work yourself or have someone else do it, instead contact the manufacturer about a repair.

Solution