Lenovo Y50/70 Screen options?

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015
I recently purchased a Lenovo y50/70 for an amazing deal a good chunk lower then ebay sellers. It is in perfect condition and here are the specs:

•Processor 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
•Operating system Windows 8.1 64
•1920x1080p tn panel touch screen
•GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB
•Memory8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
•120gig sanddisk ssd
•Network CardIntel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
•BluetoothBluetooth Version 4.0
•Battery4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

Now I am no artist, but this is one of the worst TN panels I have ever seen. I have a very HP TN laptop glossy and a acer matte TN monitor and those look miles better. I looked it up and apparently this was one of the price cutters with this laptop. I have seen options online to replace the screen and I am willing to do so. What is the best option for screen replacement for this laptop? I will go IPS as long as it has a refresh of 60 hertz or close to that (no 30hertz). If I choose a replacement TN panel will it honestly be a worthwhile improvement or just slightly better then stock?

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

See that is the thing. Normally I am fine with TN panels, but this is the worst one I have ever seen. I would go ips, but I believe I will lose a lot of refresh rate lower from 60hertz and I use it for games, but I don't want to buy a TN panel replacement to find out it was as bad as the stock one. Are those any better in this case? IPS is on its own level of quality, but there are good TN panels, decent TN panels, and bad ones. Unfortunately I ran into a really bad one.

Greetings Iamsoda,

Sadly, I know exactly how you feel about the TN screen - but if you're a bit handy and willing to void any warranty left on your Lenovo, there are numerous screen replacements available on e-Bay right now (you can get them from USA, UK and Hong Kong with prices starting at £50). And you can search YouTube for a step-by-step video guide on how to replace your TN screen with a new IPS screen - it's really not that difficult.

I can't promise that an IPS screen will "rock your foundations", but Lenovo's TN screens are notoriously low-quality, so I'm basically assuming that anything other than a TN screen will help no matter what you use it for.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

So if I buy a new TN panel for my laptop it will be better then the stock screen? BTW I have the aoc screen panel not the mia one.

Hello Iamsoda,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough: What I meant was that you could buy a separate IPS screen and install it fairly easily. (You can even buy a 4K UHD screen if you want to). I seriously doubt that getting another TN screen will be much of an improvement.

I regret to say I have no idea what "aoc" or "mia" means in this context.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Iamsoda

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Those are the types of cheap crappy TN panels installed in this particular laptop. The aou one is bad, but not as bad as the mia one.

I need a 60hertz ips. www.panelook.com gives me more details. Now I just have to find a provider of the one I want.