Lenovo Y50-70 Worth Buying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
I would NOT recommend you buying the Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. Too many bad reviews (mostly quality control hardware issues with the laptop's build or keyboard) put this laptop at the very bottom of the list for most people. That and the fact that it uses a TN panel for the display is just one more reason to look elsewhere. I would recommend you look to Asus (ROG), HP (Envy), MSI (G-Series), Alienware, or Aorus gaming laptops.

snazberry

Estimable
Sep 13, 2015
i got my lenovo y50 on ebay for 680 bucks. it has a 4k ips monitor, and a gtx 860m. i LOVE THIS THING. i got it nearly brand new, but it did not come with a disk drive. i have had it for about 2 months. i have windows 10, windows 8 sucked balls, and this thing can play gta 5 at 1980 by 1080 res and med at 55 fps. u can turn it higher and play it at 30 fps, which still is great, but when 12 players are flying planes into u, it tends to drop to 20. thats on high to ultra. i have never had a support issue with this. from overclocking to netflix. the cooling on this computer is so much better than my old lenovo ideapad z580. this laptop is well worth the money.

AssAsIN10556

Estimable
Sep 27, 2015

not entirely true, as it has a GTX 860M with 4gb VRAM and an i7 4710HQ with 2,5Ghz base clock speed and an added 1Ghz for when boosted, its worth it, i have one and they keyboard works completely fine, extremely responsive, the wifi card is quite good, and its full HD, yes its a TN screen but as youre gaming or working (in my case 3D) you not going to look at it form an angle so ts no big problem, only downside it really has is the battery life... but you can keep it plugged in and enable "conservation" mode in the lenovo energy manager which will keep it charged at 60%, once its there it wil use only power from the AC adapter, another thing are the JBL speakers which are great, a special button next to the power button for entering BOIS, only when starting up the laptop offcourse, performance wise very good for a laptop, nice fps, youll probably start with win8, but now you can upgrade to win10 for free, which is nice :p it has as standart an 1TB hdd, i reccomend upgrading to an SSD as the HDD is very slow... for anything else it has all needed ports, 3usb's from which two 3,0 usb's, a HDMI, seperate audio and mic jack, an SD card reader and an ethernet port, including the charging port :p it uses an FN key for shortcuts for various things like brightness and whatnot, overall this is a VERY good laptop for its price, i once saw a 2000 € laptop that was worse then this one, so yeah... i really recommend this one :p

Hatemtag

Estimable
Nov 17, 2015
I am fed up with this laptop. I bought it last April and since then I am suffering from frequent BSODs

I updated all hardware drivers and even upgraded to Win 10 but no use. The BSOD still occurs.

I did all possible checks on hardware but no use.

I replaced the HDD to SSD and still same problem.

I advice not to buy this laptop and look for any other brand.

Regards

barankai

Estimable
Nov 15, 2015
BSOD often linked to the RAM. Google.
First I would have changed the RAM if not loted.
BTW you're right, that Lenovo is no quality brand (like Toshiba). Just where do you get such a gaming notebook for that price?

andyouf

Estimable
Mar 11, 2014
I'm sure OP has gotten his/hers laptop but any future users take a look at the Acer Nitro. I had a Lenovo (not the Y50) a few months before, was dusting off the keyboard and a key came off. The build quality is not as good as the Acer. I was surprised at how solid it is. Plus it has an IPS matte display and you can get an SSD+separate Hdd which is great. I had a number of BSOD's with the Lenovo for no apparent reason, ridiculous restart times where I didn't know if it was locked or just doing it's thing. Annoying. No BSOD with the Acer except a few caused by a broken Nvidia driver.

Amazon was nice enough to take the lenovo back even though I was about 3 months into it. Paid around a $100 restocking fee but it was worth it. Better than living with a laptop I regret.

Whatever you get make sure it has an SSD with the OS on the ssd. SSD's are amazing. And not one of those hybrid ssd/hdd's. Those do nothing.

The Acer feels and performs like it's worth what I spent. I know this seems fanboyish but I would knock it if it was a nightmare. One annoying thing is numlock is always unlocked when you reboot or come out of sleep ;)

Ismail_2

Estimable
Nov 23, 2015
Hi I have the lenovo Y50-70. I have been using it for the past 3 months, and I cant fault the build quality nor the screen. I did pay a little extra to get 16 gig ram model that came with the nvidia GTX 960m GPU. The keyboard is a joy to use, it just takes a few days to get used to the number pad being close to the keyboard. It runs cool and you don't hear the fans when you are hitting it hard with games or media editing. The only 2 things that I should mention are the following; the battery doesn't last 5 hours it lasts around 3, and if you really want to feel the speed try to find the model with 512gig ssd, because the 1 tera that came with mine is painfully slow.

Nikita79

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
i will not either, ...
for me, the spec of the this laptop is not quite good for now....

have you try MSI before, i am using MSI GE series, not only it has high specs but also many great features.