lenovo y500 ultrabay accessories? where are they!

Rhavi Marques

Honorable
May 26, 2013
i bought the y500 dual 750m SLI, (great laptop!) but when i bought it i was told it had many accessories i could plug into the ultrabay slot, mainly an extra HDD, DVD or a fan.

now that i've used it a bit i notice that the performance drops dramatically on battery and i'm wondering weather using something else while i'm in class in collage would yield better results ( i was thinking of either the fan or just the DVD) but i cant seem to find them anywhere, not on the lenovo website, not on amazon, can anyone show me a link?

Solution
Well there are a few things to improve battery life:

* Remove 1 of the GPU's (you have 2 of them).
* Get a bigger battery.
* Turn down screen brightness.

Unfortunately I believe the y500 doesn't use Optimus technology (using the iGPU instead of the dGPU when not needing extra GPU power), from what I've read, so you might not be able to help power drain, except for the options I listed above.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well there are a few things to improve battery life:

* Remove 1 of the GPU's (you have 2 of them).
* Get a bigger battery.
* Turn down screen brightness.

Unfortunately I believe the y500 doesn't use Optimus technology (using the iGPU instead of the dGPU when not needing extra GPU power), from what I've read, so you might not be able to help power drain, except for the options I listed above.

Solution

Rhavi Marques

Honorable
May 26, 2013

its not really the battery life i need, i just need it to not be so slow on the battery, i havnt really tested it, but what i use in collage is mainly 3D AutoCAD, but i've been playing some pretty light games this summer (mainly Civ 5) and the FPS drops to like 8, and i'm pretty sure 3D CAD will be more taxing on the graphics card, wouldnt 1 of the 750m's work better on battery then 2 of them?

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Yes 1 x 750m is better on battery, but you would lose graphics horsepower too. Civ5 is quite CPU intensive, so that might be why your dropping down quite a bit. Also when under battery power the system will lower speeds of the CPU/GPU to lengthen battery life. I would try Civ5 plugged in and see what values you get.

Rhavi Marques

Honorable
May 26, 2013

plugged in i get absurds of FPS on SLI, 60+ at least, i havnt tried to fraps it. or do you mean 1x750m plugged in?

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
You could do either, but if your plugged in might as well use both GPU's. I'm just saying that the y500 (from what I've read) doesn't use Optimus technology when unplugged, which gives you optimal battery life. I think that if your plugged in and doing what you want you will be fine. I understand that your getting low FPS w/Civ5 unplugged, but that is what your probably going to get with 1 x 750m or 2.

cryosin89

Estimable
May 11, 2014

it does use Optimus if you take the second card out