Solved! Lenovo y560 ram recognition issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigskyguy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I have a Lenovo y560 with 8 gigs of ram, two 4 gig chips.When I go to accessories, then system tools and then to system information it says I have 4 gigs of ram. I installed CPU-Z and it shows 4 gigs in slots 1 and 2, and displays the make, model number, and serial number for each chip. I have taken the chips and swapped the slot locations and the computer still shows 4 gigs of ram. I installed a program that displays the percentage of ram and cpu being used and it isn't uncommon to be using over 90% of the ram.I am a novice but it seems like the computer isn't recognizing one of the chips. I have avast anti virus and iobit malware software installed. I really don't know what to do and would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you!

bigskyguy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
The max memory settingin msconfig is 4095 MB. I rebooted to bios and it also showed 4GB. I also thought about a failed slot but when I run cpu-z it shows the information for both ram chips. If the slot failed, I didn't think it would show any data for the slot but since I'm not really knowledgeable about this, I'll take your word and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.