Lenovo Y70 Touch SSD Upgrade

ffchamptmt

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015
I am looking to upgrade my laptop with an SSD. I am looking at either a 1tb or 500gb drive. Most likely the 840 Evo. I'm not sure if my laptop will support the SATA III though.

My current HD is the 1tb+8gbssd and it's connected to the mobo with a sata cable. I have only looked at the spec drawings from the manual off of lenovo support site click to download pdf. It is an 80DU model.

Is this capable of sata III or msata? Would there be anything to adjust in the bios to make it run efficiently?

Morten Jespersen

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
would have said SATA III immidiately but wanted to look it up just to be sure and yes, as i thought, it was SATA III :) upgrading to a massive SSD is not really value oriented at our current time. a researcher has predicted that ssd's will eventually get better value than HHDs but first arround year 2016-2018. but if you want to use the money then go ahead.

just a quick tip: a SSD gets worn out quickly by writing to it where the SSHD you have now don't have the same kind of problems and will eventually reach almost SSDish speeds after a few runs since it has to get used to what data it's going to frequently read.

you really don't need to change anything in the bios. the speed upgrade will happen the moment you install your files and system on it.

castropa531

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I have the 70-70 Touch and the hard drive is the only bottleneck. It's quick to boot, 12 sec, but for just about everything else is painfully slow! Yes a SSD will provide an immediate and noticeable boost. Just remember that there's only 1 hard drive space inside the case so get a SSD that will be plenty big for all the programs you would want to store. As to Morten Jespersen comment about SSD's getting worn out, respectively, he's wrong. Many test and ongoing benchmark and torture test have been going on for years on SSD's and they show a marked improvement in durability and longevity over the traditional hard drive. I have one in a laptop from 2010 going just as strong as the day it was first installed. Mr. Jespersen is just telling us all of his own personal opinion, that's all.

You could verify this yourself by using a system info utility; HWiNFO64 is especially good.

Whether it's SATA II or SATA III (it would seem to be the latter, going off of Morten Jespersen's post), it will still work. :) Oh, and if you can, get the 850 EVO instead of the 840 EVO. The 850 model is a bit cheaper and an improvement in performance over the 840 version.