Lenovo Yoga 2 Battery Drains to 0% while Powered Off (Shutdown)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (not pro). It is relatively new, I've owned it for about two months now. Everything has been working fine, and it's performance/speed has been great; however, recently the laptop battery drains completely after it's been powered down.

Whether the laptop is in sleep mode or I shut it down, it loses complete charge, and I have to plug it in in order to turn it on again. This is turning out to be a very annoying problem, as I don't always want to have to plug in the laptop to power it on. And also, I don't want to keep the laptop plugged in all night as I heard this can damage the battery.

Granted, if the laptop is left off for only an hour or so I still have some power left (but the charge still drops a significant amount). But if I shut down the laptop the night before at full charge and then turn it on in the morning, it will go from 100% to 0%.

All suggestions are appreciated. I would like to explore software fixes before replacing the battery itself. So far, inevitably, I have tried some power cycles because the laptop drops to 0%, I have done many power cycles going from 0% to 100%

Thank you so much!!

Solution
I had the same problem with my laptop. Follow the next steps and you'll solve the problem:

Go to control panel -> power options -> choose what the power buttons do

From there you can change what the power off or sleep buttons do. You can also change what your computer does when its lid closes.

Good luck!

PChandS

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Do you have Intel Graphic Display Adapter (check in Device Manager - Display Adapters)? If you do, go to Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, choose On Battery option and make all options listed to disabled like Panel Self-Refresh options. Advise if you observe your issue getting fixed. Are you using windows 10?

anzy729

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015

Hi I have the same issue as the OP. I'm using the Dell 3148 with Windows 10. I have sleep timed at 15min and hibernate at 30min. When I put the laptop to sleep off battery (sometimes overnight), I wake up to find the battery completely drained.

In addition to the above, sometimes when I put the lid down and return to work after 2hrs, it refuses to start until I restart the laptop by pressing the Power button for 5 seconds. Please help me out here

TDas777

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hi,
I have Dell inspiron 7537. I'm using Win8.1u1. Drivers, BIOS, Windows all updated.
I am facing the same issue. I observed 2 days. After shutting down, next day morning, battery is drained to 0%, so laptop doesn't turn on without AC power.

Last night I don't know why but I flipped the laptop (after 20~30sec of complete shut down), and I saw the fan was still spinning, and it was not drift after shutting down any spinning fan or motor, it was actually spinning. I checked the hdd was off as there was no humming sound/feel from the hdd area.

So I push the power button and it was not turning on, i tried 3-4 times. Then I plugged the AC power and push the power button, and it turned on, in windows it was showing 88% battery level, at shutdown the battery was 89%.

Then again I shut it down and flipped the laptop, and the fan was still spinning. So again I turn on the laptop and shut it down. Now this time, the fan was not spinning. I didn't turn on the laptop after this.

After 2-3 hours, before going to bed I checked and the fan was not spinning.
Today morning the battery level was 86% which is okay.

But the problem is not fixed.....

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
1) windows 8 has an issue where it "turns off" without turning off. this is due to microsoft wanting to show off windows 8's super fast boot speed. so they cheated by making it so that when you tell a laptop/pc to power down, instead it actually goes into a hibernation state, and "pretends" to power down. you can tell if your system is doing this if when you power it on, it DOESN'T show the manufacturer's splash screen, but rather goes straight to that stupid spinning circle, with windows booting.
that's the behavior of windows waking from hibernate, not power down

2) bad gpu drivers can cause this behavior when you attempt to sleep/hibernate. so part of your problem is likely bad gpu drivers as well.

TDas777

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
@ingtar33
Actually that thing "Fast Start up" is disabled and it's properly shutting down.
I'm using this laptop from Feb 2014, but this battery drain issue is started 3-4 days before.

nikhil_t

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015
I am going thru same problem with my Dell Inspiron 3542 (except battery drain while plugged). I've tried many of the solutions mentioned above but the problem was not resolved. I contacted dell support they asked me roll back the pc to windows8.1 and re-upgrade to windows 10. Gonna do tht today, hoping tht problem will b resolved.

TDas777

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Well, few days before facing this issue, I installed intel xtu. Dell tech support asked me to restore windows before that installation. I did. And the issue is solved.

Mahmoud Draj

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
I am having the same issue with my laptop while I was on windows 8.1, and I remember after I have updated all my drivers but for the life of me I couldn't figure out which one was causing it, I left and thought after Windows 10 release there will be new drivers and that would fix the issue. So installed Windows 10 and update all drivers again but the issue still the same.

Checked my power setting and restore to default settings, checked bios, unchecked fast boot, Dell forum suggested to delete/uninstall graphic drivers, done that and nothing works so far.

Any other suggestions would be appreciate it!!

duvik

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
I have the same problem.
When I set my laptop Dell Inspirion 7537 to sleep, it will drain the battery, because the fan will start spinning and laptop is under 80+% load.
This started happening about a 10days ago after my clean install of Windows 10.

Even when I set my laptop to power off (but keep the wifi on) then I think it starts up at midnight to scan for windows updates and it then never shuts off(stays under load) and then at morning I find it completely drained.
(If I leave my laptop in power supply charging, I will find it in the morning running, hot, fan spinning and screen black.)

So whenewer it shuts down unaccurately/sleep mode. It will set my laptop into weird circle when it only keeps running at full speed -_-

I have heard these reasons of this: GPU drivers, bad drivers at general, and processes that increase CPU load and runns even in sleep. - I dont know which processes are it yet

TY

AyeshaObaid

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
Hi, I am having the same problem with DELL Inspirion 5000 series core i7. It only strated after I installed windows 10. Firstly it doesnot start after hibernation, sleep mode. I thought there is some conflict in AMD and intel display drivers, but then whenever I shut it down properly and in the morning it is still hot, and battery drained at 0%. although it was fully chrged before shutdown.
Ayesha

mang0_

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
I'm having a similar issue with Win10 on my Asus X555LA. For a start, it seems that when I leave it the default 15 minutes to sleep (30 mins on power) after that it refuses to wakeup. I have to long-hold the powerbutton, which I believe does a reboot.
Then, even when it's sleeping, the battery appears to go down as quickly as if it were fully on. It's a new battery.

To top things off, I don't seem to be able to shutdown properly. When I shut down, the standby/sleep LED turns on. The manual for the notebook says it should blink slowly when sleeping, but it just stays lit. I'm going to try looking in the BIOS settings for a fastboot option - Win10 fastboot is already disabled. I'll report back!

MatheusM

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I was having this same problem with my Thinkpad 8 W10 tablet. The tablet's battery would be completely drained after some 8 hours, even with the device completely shut off (not sleeping, not hibernating, but shut off). In my case, the problem turned out to be the "fast initialization" option that was turned on.

This option is in Control Panel > Energy Option > System Configuration (sorry if the names are different, my Windows is not in English). The option is "grey", but you can alter it after pressing the blue option called something like "Alter configurations not available at the moment". Turn this option off and I hope your problem will be solved too.

Ashish_3

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
Hello,

I have a dell 3148 and after windows 10 update was facing the battery drain issue in hibernate, sleep and even power off. Searched on different forums and found a solution on hp forum that the issue is due to the Intel Management Engine Interface driver version 11.xx.xx.xx. So I installed the older version from dell site version 9.xx.xx.xx. Also turned off fast startup by going into Power Options>System Settings>Choose what the power buttons do and unticking "Turn on fast startup". Now my laptopr has been shutting down without draining any battery. The hibernate also seems to be working fine and battery doesnt drain in hibernate too.

cognus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Ashish I sure hope you are right!
this is a huge 'plague' and most threads on the topic go endless pages with nothing but disinformation.

for those who don't know this, there is a power report app/utility that will test everything and generate a scary readout. I would bet big bucks that there is not a working modern laptop/hybrid out there that can pass muster without significant errors.

Open Elevated Command prompt, type ' powercfg/energy ', leave it open, and go back to work on the device - web searches, type docs, whatever. once the report is generated it will be in the windows system32 directory but even if you take ownership of it it will not open in that locale. copy/paste to a folder somewhere and open.

To this point: is there a hack/bat/app//script anywhere, or even possible, that will effect a TOTAL POWER OFF condition?

BeefSoupreme

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
I can verify one of the solutions here: change the Intel Management Engine Interface driver.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 (i3 chip) that came pre-loaded with Window 8. I upgraded to Windows 10 -- no problems surface. Then, I did a completely fresh install of Windows 10 after a HDD crash. My battery problems started after this.

The following actions fixed the problem:
1. Disabled FastStart
2. Installed an older version of Intel Management Engine Interface

I do not know if FastStart is actually the problem or not, but since I turned it off at the same time that I installed an older Intel version, I can't remove it from the list of possibilities.

The Intel Management Interface Download page can be found at this link. [intel.com]

Version 11 is what Windows 10 installed. I downgraded to version 9 and am currently running version 9. I have no idea whether version 10 will work or not.

For those who might not be comfortable with a lot of technical stuff: When you go to install and older version the software tries to 'warn' you that a newer version exists on your system. In this case, you want to ignore that and install the older version.

Best of luck.

Ashish_3

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
BeefSoupreme, I too am sure that of the 2 steps i mentioned, changing the Intel Management Engine Interface driver to version 9 is the step that resolved the sleep, hibernate, shut down issue for me. But just to be sure mentioned both the steps. It's been about 8 days now and am having no problems of battery drain since the driver downgrade.

panderic

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
I tried downgrading to version 9 of the Intel Management Engine Interface driver and disabling fast boot, but that did not fix this from happening on a Dell Inspiron 17 5748 with a Windows 10 clean installed on a SSD. The only thing that worked (confirmed today) was uninstalling the Intel Management Engine Interface. From some brief research, it doesn't look like it's strictly necessary and no ill effects to report. Hopefully, Intel fixes this very annoying bug soon. Thanks for all those that pointed to this being the culprit.

Faran52

Estimable
Sep 14, 2015
Well guys I have a Dell 3542 and I was having the same issue searched for 2 days and this drove me crazy. Well It is because of bad Intel Management Engine Driver if yours is uprgarded to v11 something you don't need to downgrade, just go to device manager->System Devices-> Intel Management Interface->Properties->Power Management and uncheck Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power and try testing now hopefully it will work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.