Lenovo Yoga 2 Battery Drains to 0% while Powered Off (Shutdown)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (not pro). It is relatively new, I've owned it for about two months now. Everything has been working fine, and it's performance/speed has been great; however, recently the laptop battery drains completely after it's been powered down.

Whether the laptop is in sleep mode or I shut it down, it loses complete charge, and I have to plug it in in order to turn it on again. This is turning out to be a very annoying problem, as I don't always want to have to plug in the laptop to power it on. And also, I don't want to keep the laptop plugged in all night as I heard this can damage the battery.

Granted, if the laptop is left off for only an hour or so I still have some power left (but the charge still drops a significant amount). But if I shut down the laptop the night before at full charge and then turn it on in the morning, it will go from 100% to 0%.

All suggestions are appreciated. I would like to explore software fixes before replacing the battery itself. So far, inevitably, I have tried some power cycles because the laptop drops to 0%, I have done many power cycles going from 0% to 100%

Thank you so much!!

Solution
I had the same problem with my laptop. Follow the next steps and you'll solve the problem:

Go to control panel -> power options -> choose what the power buttons do

From there you can change what the power off or sleep buttons do. You can also change what your computer does when its lid closes.

Good luck!

Otiggen

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
I forgot to mention... if the BIOS password prompt stops Sleep to Hibernate transitions then you should be able to change a BIOS setting to avoid requesting a password when resuming from Sleep (at the cost of some reduced security in the event of a theft etc.).

miraque

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 series 15 with W7 64 bits. Update the BIOS with the latest drivers and have the same problem . Turn off the notebook battery with 80% and the next day it is at 0 %. The notebook is turned off, not suspended .

Otiggen

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
First thing is to check the system and application event logs for any evidence that the machine was active overnight (don't jump to too many conclusions as to the cause from any events found in the logs - various updaters etc. may well run without having been the cause of the machine waking or refusing to sleep).
When you say "turned off" you need to give more information. How did you turn it off? Did you check any available LED for disk activity and power to confirm it was off? Sometimes machines don't shut down when commanded. Pressing the power button, or closing the lid, may not be configured to shut the machine down in any case. When turning the machine on again you can get an idea of what state it was in - at least for WIndows 7... a quick boot to user login suggests it was in Sleep. A message about "Resuming..." indicates it was in hibernation. A full Windows slow boot sequence indicates it was Shutdown (or crashed).

Otiggen

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
and one other thing - I think suggested by someone else earlier in this thread... if your machine has the capability to power the USB ports when shut down... .then check for any USB connected device that might have been drawing battery power while the machine was off.

a99wex

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
Hi,

Try following the directions on this video, it helped solve the issue with my Dell Inspiron 5547. My lappy used to die every morning, even after I shut it down at night. This disables a W10 feature that makes booting faster. Annoying, if you ask me.

Hope this helps yeah :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ4wDpKh9oU

For those that cant view the video,
open cmd as an admin, and run the following command - bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

All credit goes to the video author.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCURrmf6mMk8mxhqEn2e_bQQ

a99wex

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016

It disables dynamic tick, it's apparently a feature that keeps laptops in a low power mode, similar to hibernate, it's said to be the main cause of battery drain, I've seen better battery life since I ran that command.

But sometimes my laptop looks like it's shut down, but I can still hear the fan running (happens about 20% of the time)

But who knows, Win10 is weird like that... :pt1cable:

wladicus

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016

Douglas_7

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

It works for me too!:bounce: Last night did accordingly with your instruction, filled battery 100%, put the the Dell 3542 on "Sleep" mode through the night, next day...Voila...still 100%....Thank you Faran52!

Shivam_12

Commendable
May 11, 2016

Shivam_12

Commendable
May 11, 2016
hit windows+s type device manager click it then go to system device->there find intel management interface uninstall it............
it worked for me----------- and the you can install version 9 of that driver on googlng you can get it........

Buckyball60

Commendable
May 17, 2016
something you don't need to downgrade, just go to device manager->System Devices-> Intel Management Interface->Properties->Power Management and uncheck
If have the battery drain on a Dell XPS 13 (Windows 10) but this option wasn't available under "System Devices"

However there are two other entries there "Intel(R) Serial IO I2C Hostcontroller 9D60 and 9D61" where the boxes andere "Power Options" were checked. I unchecked both and did a reboot and charged to 100%. Now after 2h the battery is still at 99% so I hope that was the necessary fix.

*edit*
Checked 3-times within the last 6 hours, battery is at 97% right know.

** 8.5 hours on sleep - 96% **
** 22 hours on sleep - 95% **

That seems very good to me and it looks the two change fixed the problem for me :)

Masoud_1

Commendable
May 19, 2016
My laptop is the Asus n552vw .
When the laptop was off 1% per 6 hours of battery charge was reduced.

My problem was solved by installing the latest version of "Intel Management Engine Driver (1.5M) for Windows 10 for Intel NUC" "version 11.0.6.1193" .

stewar15401

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
The problem is that some laptops deliver power to the USB ports even when shut down. The purpose is to allow the charging of other devices (cellphones, etc.) via USB with the laptop battery alone. At least for Lenovo laptops, the fix is in the BIOS.

THE SOLUTION: Hit F12 during initial startup (before Windows runs) to enter SETUP/BOOT OPTIONS. Once you locate the USB options page, disable the option that delivers charging power to the USB ports when the unit is shut down. Then hit "save changes and exit."

Unfortunately, the BIOS default setting is the problem. Lenovo itself claims that this battery drain problem is "normal" and offers no fix. But if you DO NOT make this change, your battery will drain constantly when the unit is unplugged, and it will drain even quicker if you keep a USB flash drive plugged into it.

Adithya_2

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Hai,
I am also getting same problem on my dell laptop if you got any resolution procedure please send me.

It was a new laptop, just three months back i purchased it . with other OS its working fine but i am getting problem with the windows 10. I charged my laptop to 100% in the night and when I woke up in the morning the laptop was showing red light indicating the low battery. I wonder how the battery drained so quickly overnight while the laptop is shut down?! And this is not the first time its happening, I am facing this problem after I upgraded to Windows 10. Is there any solution to this. It is not my battery fault it is only problem i am getting windows 10.

Adithya_2

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

Hai,
I am also getting same problem on my dell laptop if you got any resolution procedure please send me.

It was a new laptop, just three months back i purchased it . with other OS its working fine but i am getting problem with the windows 10. I charged my laptop to 100% in the night and when I woke up in the morning the laptop was showing red light indicating the low battery. I wonder how the battery drained so quickly overnight while the laptop is shut down?! And this is not the first time its happening, I am facing this problem after I upgraded to Windows 10. Is there any solution to this. It is not my battery fault it is only problem i am getting windows 10.

Adithya_2

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016

Hai,

Status
Not open for further replies.