Question Lenovo Yoga 7i won't power up/stay on

pbcsd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Have a ~2 year old Lenovo Yoga 7i flip laptop that I purchased for my son for school. Out of the blue this week, it wouldn't power on (he used it Wed night, shut it down, and it wouldn't power up Thursday).

After trouble shooting it, I managed to power it on by disconnecting the battery after opening it up, hitting the power button for 30 seconds to discharge, then plugging in the AC and turning it on without the battery.

I then tried to shut it down, plug the battery back in and power it up, but again it wouldn't do so.

So I unplugged it again, powered it on with the AC. I then tried, while it was already on, to simply reconnect the battery.

The battery reconnected and showed as 96% charged. I then unplugged the AC and poof, shut down immediately so wasn't using battery power at all.

I purchased another battery online, and in that case, while I can turn the PC on with the battery plugged in, the laptop won't charge the new battery (non-OEM).

Have also tried installing new BIOS firmware, uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows battery driver in Device Manager, etc., all to no avail.

Any ideas as I'd hate for this to be a C$1,000 plug in only option!

Thx

Aug 19, 2023
May be the battery that you bought is a bad one?
Most likely it needs some repair on the board.
Did you try to get into bios and then connect the battery and unplug the adapter?
you can also try uninstalling the Adapter/battery drivers in windows and see if that fixes it but I highly doubt it.