Lenovo Z500 turns off after cooling maintenance

zopiclo

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
This laptop is a gift from my mother that passed away 8 9 days ago. It's been two years since i got it, so i thought i should clean the fan and radiator a bit. Dissasembled, cleaned the contacting parts with a soft towel with a drip of alcohol, got rid of the dust, applied some thermopaste and... It turns on for a few seconds and then immediately shuts down.

Two vids to illustrate the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvO-on-mogI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1v2DV6ixw

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps I suggested to others who had the same issue.
- Start with a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then see if it will boot up normally.
- Do also try booting it up without it's battery and just connected directly to its AC adapter.
- Next to try if these doesn't work is to reseat the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If these doesn't work as well test your AC adapter if it's supplying enough voltage or try a different AC adapter if it will make the laptop boot up or not.
- Before concluding that its a hardware issue do open your laptop again and check if everything is connected properly specially the fans and try reapplying new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. Wipe the old thermal paste completely before applying a new one and make sure that the heat sink is seated properly on the CPU.
- If all these will not work the problem would be the motherboard and a repair is necessary.

zopiclo

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Thamk you for your reply! i did all the steps including the battery and adapter ones (z500 has internal battery, disconnected it, tried to boot from adapter - still no use.
on my way to the hardware store for a better thermal paste.

zopiclo

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
All i can say is that after all theese steps and some additional cleaning the processor (incl. sireways) somehow it went on... and it's still working!
Thank you!