Lenovo Z500 won't stay asleep

av-115

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015
Hi all,

My laptop is set to sleep when the battery drops below 5%. It does go to sleep, however it powers back on almost immediately. This isn't helpful if I'm away from the laptop as when I next come to use it I get the "Windows did not shut down properly" message. If it went to sleep it would probably last hours before powering off. It lasts 5 minutes when it resumes itself from sleep.

The model is a Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 which is running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. From what I can remember it's always done this but I've never really paid attention to it. Now I've got a new battery and I don't want it being ruined by being constantly drained to 0% not to mention my new SSD. I've got the latest BIOS which was issued in 2013 - same year system was manufactured.

Been unable to find anything related to this issue hence why I'm posting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew

Hi,

Please do try changing the Power Option settings that may help in solving the issue.
- Go to Device Manager and right click on wireless adapter then select Properties.
- Click on Power Management tab and remove the check on Allow the computer to wake up the computer.
- Make sure that the only device that should wake the PC up is the keyboard and mouse.
- Right click on the battery icon and select Power Options.
- Next is to change Power Options settings.
- Click on Change plan settings on the power plan selected then click on Change advanced power settings.
- Expand Hard disk and Turn off hard disk after and set it to Never.
- Expand Sleep and set Allow hybrid sleep to OFF.
- Expand Hibernate after to Never and click Apply and OK.

av-115

Estimable
Dec 23, 2015

Hi, thanks for your reply. Did all of the above but the problem still persists. Hibernation is disabled as I never use it.

I think this could be a BIOS issue. Event viewer is littered with these ACPI warnings: ": The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS."

I think a BIOS update on these models is well overdue. Interesting, though, I've not seen this issue posted anywhere before and it seems like it's only my system that's doing this. It's really starting to annoy me now.

Andrew