Solved! Lenovo z580 with failing HD stuck turning off

Feb 21, 2020
Hi,

My old Lenovo z580 has been powering off suddenly without any apparent reason, after ruling out faulty battery (by running it on AC only), faulty AC (by running just on battery), or fans (Core Temp says it's quite cool while powering off), I found out that HDD is apparently failing - so, I backed up all the data (laptop failed several times during this but turned back on) and tried to shut it down before going to shop for new drive.

Problem is, it got stuck while shutting down - screen is off, power led button is on as are other led buttons, HDD is making a constant quiet noise, and it won't either turn back on or completely turn off. Pressing power button doesn't do anything. I considered taking out the battery but I don't know if it's safe to do when laptop is (sort of) working?

Solution
It may need the power button to be pressed down for quite a while until those lights fade away. By now, two hours after your post, it may have turned off.

If you have another PC it's safest to remove the suspect hard drive and slave it to the other machine just to check your backup completed safely.
It may need the power button to be pressed down for quite a while until those lights fade away. By now, two hours after your post, it may have turned off.

If you have another PC it's safest to remove the suspect hard drive and slave it to the other machine just to check your backup completed safely.

Solution
Feb 21, 2020

Hi, thanks for reply. I did eventually remove the battery, because I noticed the laptop is getting hotter (perhaps because fans weren't running while hdd was?) and I was worried it will get everything inside fried before it turns off. After waiting a bit, I turned it on on AC power only, without battery, and this time it launched and shut down fine.