lens AF very is noisy

fcnealvillangca

Estimable
May 11, 2015
hhello I have a 50mm f1.8 lens. my cousin get my 50 f1.8 without permission and after she returned it to I noticed that the AF became too noisy. I know it will be noisy because it doesn't have a stepping motor.

the problem it's 2x noisier than before. is there any solution for this? may I replace the focusing motor of this lens if ever? or may I add a little bit of oil inside. (I'll be careful not to spill oil in the blades.)

Solution

If she borrowed without permission, charge her the full price of a new lens and give her the old one. Usually if the noise increases it means that something in there broke, from a drop or something else. Don't bother with oil though, there's a chance you'll do more damage if you use something incompatible...

If she borrowed without permission, charge her the full price of a new lens and give her the old one. Usually if the noise increases it means that something in there broke, from a drop or something else. Don't bother with oil though, there's a chance you'll do more damage if you use something incompatible with the current lubricant.

Solution

That's a sign she dropped the lens and then smacked it back together again.