Lesbian Sues Netflix Amid Privacy Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fkscott17

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Tricky situation. You have to wonder how many would really know or care about her sexual orientation through Netflix? Yet this lawsuit is going to let a whole lot more people know.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Netflix is in no way responsible for IMDB's data, she choose to put reviews on both sites, it's her problem. I assume she had personally identifiable info on IMDB or she wouldn't feel she was compromised. Maybe it's her fault for what she put there or IMBD allowed more info then it should have. If Netflix only used a reference number, there is no way to directly correlate that with her.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Just another loser hoping to score a fat settlement with her baseless lawsuit. 2.5 million Netflix subscribers, plus or minus a couple she might know, don't give a crap that she is a lesbian. Second, of the 1 or 2 she might know, the probability is vanishingly small that they would have taken the time to compare quasi-anonymous released ratings to try and ascertain the identity of those posting reviews on the off chance it might reveal something incriminating. Third, the fact that she watches and reviews movies on the Gay/Lesbian list doesn't definitively prove she's is gay. Maybe she's bisexual. Maybe she's bi-curious. Then we come back to my original point NO ONE CARES. I hope Netflixs fights this and doesn't give her a cent. In fact, they should cancel her membership immediately and forever.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Ridiculous legal system to even let something go to court. She is complaining about people knowing she's gay...well I didn't know until she said it. For the kind of money these losers are making off of frivolous lawsuits, I have no problem being anything for millions of dollars. This nonsense needs to stop. Is there anyway to restore law, orders, common sense, and morals to our country?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I'm an out gay guy, and I'm not impressed. No better way to out yourself than to file a lawsuit about being outed.

I get that life can be harder for those that are gay, but from the info I see here, she over reacted. I don't see how IRL identity can be found out be connecting a Netflix profile with an IMDB profile. Granted, Netflix probably should have done a better job at this anyway so that no profiles could be connected.

Maybe there's to this that wasn't in this article, but that's where I stand at this point in time.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't get it. She Identifies herself on one website and posts the same review somewhere else anonymously and she expects to remain anonymous? Is that the situation or am I really missing something?

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Uncle Meat[/nom]You can tell if someone is gay by the movies they watch now?[/citation]

Brokeback mountain would be a good hint

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Lady, you shouldn't be suing, you should be celebrating! You're out now, and that's a great thing. Then again, you're a lezzy and you ladies are always angry, pissed off and want to beat us little homos up at the gay club. When you lesbians take over, we're all huddled in the corner terrified...

G

no, but a name like "Uncle Meat" is not going to convince anyone you're not a pervert.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Uncle Meat[/nom]You can tell if someone is gay by the movies they watch now?[/citation]

Yea... since Netflix saves and lists whatever movies we have rented or watched, if somebody can get into our account they will know what is our preference on "many" things. I guess I will assume my friend's sexual orientation if I found out he/she have watched many gay movies.

Well... this is like if somebody hack in to google and find out all the keywords we used on google... they will know a lot of us in detail...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.