LeTV Superphone Fights Apple 'Tyranny' with USB Type-C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodspike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I'm not seeing USB-C as being an advantage on a smartphone at this stage, unless that port is backward compatible with the existing mini-USB plugs. Smartphones connect to USB primarily just for power, so having a different plug for power is not an advantage.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
If these devices have an upgrade policy similar to Nexus devices, it would be a pretty nice deal...as long as there is a microSD card slot...

mosc

Estimable
Oct 20, 2014
Goodspike, type-C (3.1 more specifically) can send 20 volts, 5 amps, 100 wants of power! That means faster charging when all you care about is charging too.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Wonder if a 6.33" phone is big enough to deal with the 810 without throttling. So far the 5-5.5 inch class phones cant handle it

Goodspike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Goodspike, type-C (3.1 more specifically) can send 20 volts, 5 amps, 100 wants of power! That means faster charging when all you care about is charging too.

Recharge time has never been a big concern for me, although I will admit that when running Google Maps and streaming music with the screen on the charge rate at 2 amps is pretty slow.

My concern is more this would be like buying a phone with a proprietary connector at this stage of the game. None of my car phone charging cables would work, so it would be an extra expense, just like back in the days of cell phones when you changed models or particularly brands.

Mike Andronico

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks for the responses, guys. I agree with the concerns about USB C, but it could be exciting if the connection eventually becomes standard. Also equally perplexed that a YouTube-like company is trying to make phones, but I guess we'll see how good they really are soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.