Level 3 Will Use Stolen Bandwidth for Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sounds pretty apt. Level 3 wants to send 5x what it receives without paying for it, yet if the reverse was true they would expect to be paid. Greedy Jackasses come to mind.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Great those cheap pricks, they have a pant or facility across town from ware I used to live and they would rarely hire people even though they have a program with one of the local colleges even though it is next door. They hardly really hire students as they would promise and worse they are one of many fat cats that suck billions from off the Federal government each year.

agamar

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Wow, I can tell you guys haven't read much more abou tthis than this one article. Peering agreements are setup for traffic passing through the network, not to the subscribers on that network. In fact, Comcast should be thankful that Level 3 is allowing them to get Netflix, because there are quite a few subscribers that would jump ship (including me) if I couldn't watch Netflix. I only use my Comcast connection for DATA.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
We already know Comcast is evil or at least looking at people's data as "potential revenue streams". And I like how he colors the argument by saying they "stole" the bandwidth when they really just outbid their competitor.

deepblu

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
yes, but how much of that traffic is destined for Comcast customers. It doesn't sound like all the facts are known yet. The issue is how many service providers are ready to have more and more customers stream video to their house. I don't recall seeing any SLA with my ISP, only a monthly fee for a published speed with no guarantee. This issue will only get more intense as more consumers get devices that stream video from Netflix, Hulu, GoogleTV, etc, etc. It is Christmas and lots of these devices will be given as gifts this year.

donner

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I am paying Comcast for Internet access including Netflix. I am also paying Netflix for service, and Netflix is paying L3 for internet service. So, if Comcast charges L3 extra and effectively Netflix extra to deliver content to Comcast subscribers, then I am by proxy paying Comcast twice for my internet access. Netflix is not getting a free ride. Comcast is doing one or both of the following:
1) Squeeze out extra profit from its subscriber's while avoiding having it show up on their bill as a rate increase, and possibly losing those subscribers to competitors. Instead the extra cost will appear on the subscribers bill to the competing content provider, and see #2.

2) Use their monopoly over the last mile for many people to put the squeeze on competing content providers.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]donner[/nom]I am paying Comcast for Internet access including Netflix. I am also paying Netflix for service, and Netflix is paying L3 for internet service. So, if Comcast charges L3 extra and effectively Netflix extra to deliver content to Comcast subscribers, then I am by proxy paying Comcast twice for my internet access.[/citation]
Not exactly. If you buy a big screen TV at Sears, and then pay to have it delivered to your living room, you are not paying for it twice.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Not exactly. If you buy a big screen TV at Sears, and then pay to have it delivered to your living room, you are not paying for it twice.[/citation]
This is a terrible analogy. When you get an internet service plan, it usually comes with a bandwidth cap these days which means that this bandwidth is RESERVED for you for the remainder of the time period. Therefore, you are paying for the bandwidth you use. Level 3 should be charging comcast for the data delivery if anything. If comcast blocks netflix, then this is great news for comcast haters. Comcast has every reason to block netflix, because it's a competing service to their TV delivery network. When corporations' channels of revenue get obsoleted, the consumer gets the monopoly hammer in the face.

G

BY THAT LOGIC THE INTERNET IS MADE OUT OF TUBES?
AND YOU CAN ONLY FIT SO MANY TRUCKS ON IT

donner

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Not exactly. If you buy a big screen TV at Sears, and then pay to have it delivered to your living room, you are not paying for it twice.[/citation]

Bad analogy. Closer would be if I bought a TV from Sears and there was only one delivery company in town and I paid that delivery company for delivery, but they would only deliver it if Sears also paid them. And, that delivery company also sold TVs.

Enkidu98

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Yay, corporate shill masquerading as news.

News at 11.

Unless you want your news from a level3 customer. If so, your news has been blocked. Despite your customer purchased bandwidth limit not being exceeded. We do not like when you get your news from sources outside of our network.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
what the hell? if level 3 is sending 5x more bits because of Netflix, it is because Comcast's customers are asking them to! Comcast should charge their customers for this, not Level 3!!! Hello???

And if people didn't request these bits, they would need an internet connection. comcast should be reimbursed for providing a service that it is in business to provide?\

What a bunch if idiocy.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Rico Mossesgeld is trying to go fishing for details and is hoping he stirs up enough controversy with the half truths he's fudge a bit more in delivering to you guys. this article lacks almost all of the facts needed to be substantial. hopefully Mr. Mossesgeld will fill in the gaps and finish this one.

G

Level 3 also streamed the Super Bowl, the Winter Olympics in British Columbia and the Tour De France so is Comcast going to charge for those as well? Level 3 have a ton of content on their network from their customers - Amazon.com, Skype, Vonage, Google so naturally they are going to be sending traffic to whoever has the users. Comcast has the users but Level 3 has the content. Comcast wants to own 51% NBC Universal who owns 31% of HuLu who is "NetFlix" like but with TV broadcast content. And really in the end, its the users of Comcast asking for this content.

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
[citation][nom]Enkidu98[/nom]Yay, corporate shill masquerading as news. News at 11. Unless you want your news from a level3 customer. If so, your news has been blocked. Despite your customer purchased bandwidth limit not being exceeded. We do not like when you get your news from sources outside of our network.[/citation]

Sounds like Fox News to me. You'll take our opinions as we see fit, and how much of it we give to you. Truth? That has nothing to do with this, we're here for entertainment purposes! TM: Fair and Balanced.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
It seems a silly agreement to have made but if they've made it they ought to be bound by it. Unless the other lawsuit is effectively a complaint that this manner of agreement if being forced upon people and shouldn't be valid.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]agamar[/nom] I only use my Comcast connection for DATA.[/citation]

Pro Tip: Anything you send and/or receive over an internet connection is data.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Comcast is last mile so all of this data would be for its customers. It has no right or reason to ask for money from level 3 for providing it what is basically a free plugin service for netflix guaranteeing its speedy and consistent connection to its customers. Most likely Level 3 will win thisas its a blatant abuse of power. What you may notice however is that ATT and the other last mile providers are not ganging up on level 3 and are sitting quietly to the side.
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Pro Tip: Anything you send and/or receive over an internet connection is data.[/citation]
Holy shit who knew?!

Status
Not open for further replies.