Question LG C9 (2019) and Xfinity Flex

Jan 21, 2021
I have a 65" LG C9 TV manufactured in 2019. I just installed the Xfinity Flex box with Comcast as my ISP. I no longer have cable service.

I logged onto Netflix through the Flex box. I have the premium service that provides DolbyVision content. This works fine when I use the built in app on the TV.

When I use the Flex app and for example play "The Cloverfield Paradox" the logo for Dolby Vision pops up on the upper right hand side of the screen as expected.
However when I go and check the HDMI connection between the Flex box and the TV (using Settings>Channel>Channel Tuning>11111):
the resolution is 1280x720.
"HDR Type:SDR"
BT2020 is indicated as being used but it's 8 Bits.

BTW I ran the Netflix Network test and things came back OK with a speed of 86.9 Mbps (wired Ethernet). Not the best speed in the world but not the worst. The results were similar for a test of the network speed using the Netflix app installed on the TV.

FWIW, I have not noticed much of a difference in the video quality between the two methods of access.

I had expected to see different results given when looking into the HDMI measurements. For example I expected a resolution of 3840x2160.
Was this an incorrect expectation?

Your insights are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
After some more troubleshooting I have verified that Dolby Vision videos from Netflix are indeed being displayed in 1280x720 (along with BT2020 color gamut). As I mentioned above when I play the same video through my TV's installed app I get a 3840x2160 resolution.
I have a call into Comcast asking why I get the degraded resolution using their Flex box.
Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Streaming Video & TVs 2
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
D Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 2
N Streaming Video & TVs 2