LG Going Into OLED TV Production in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Very cool. I'm glad LG is pushing OLED as opposed to just 3D or LED (both which are stop gaps). My only question, does OLED add another color or something (like those Sharp commercials about adding yellow)? If so, is there content that can take advantage of this?

It's like 8-bit vs 10-bit panels, no?

I'm sure there will be added benefits such as much deeper blacks and a sharper looking picture right?

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Blacks are definitely deeper since there is no back light to bleed through. Each pixel emits its own light, or in the case of black, no light. Comparing my AMOLED Samsung phone with the iPhone, mine is so much richer and vibrant in color. I'm sure OLED TVs will be the same compared to standard LCD TVs.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]Blacks are definitely deeper since there is no back light to bleed through. Each pixel emits its own light, or in the case of black, no light. Comparing my AMOLED Samsung phone with the iPhone, mine is so much richer and vibrant in color. I'm sure OLED TVs will be the same compared to standard LCD TVs.[/citation]

So what comes after OLED TVs?

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I saw Sony's OLED screens at last years NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) in Vegas, and I was VERY impressed... and then I saw the $26,000 price tag. Granted those Sony OLED screens were professional quality screens, but I am glad to see that consumer quality screens are significantly cheaper.

Still too pricey for me though.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Very cool. I'm glad LG is pushing OLED as opposed to just 3D or LED (both which are stop gaps). My only question, does OLED add another color or something (like those Sharp commercials about adding yellow)? If so, is there content that can take advantage of this? It's like 8-bit vs 10-bit panels, no? I'm sure there will be added benefits such as much deeper blacks and a sharper looking picture right?[/citation]
The short answer is yes, it delivers "more color". The color gamut for OLED is greater than 100% NTSC. The average LCD is 80% NTSC, with pricier LCDs at best getting 90% NTSC.

What does that mean? Well, the color range produced by LCDs is less than the color range produced by tube based displays. Yes, that's true, believe it or not. OLED has the capability to produce a greater color range than even tube TVs.

In my opinion, OLED is definitely a step forward, and where the future of display technology currently lies.

checo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Back in the 90's people would gladly pay $4000 for a modern living room quality television (crt old stuff). Now you get the world on a peice of plastic for the same amount. Just putting things into perspective on the price. Although it is alot to pay for a tv now-a-days.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
if they make a 24in 1920x1200 monitor for the pc with a built in tv tuner, i would buy it in a heart beat if its under 600$

i miss having the deep blacks of my crt... dont miss the headaches or the 1024x768 though (it could do higher, but couldn't read crap on it than.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
As sad as it is, I still use a 22" IBM CRT from 2007. The colors are beautiful, and the resolution goes to 2048x1536, which all my games look amazing in. I switched to a 24" Samsung LCD briefly last year, and switched back after a couple of weeks. The colors weren't nearly as good, nor was the clarity.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
The RGBW grid in these oleds help to reproduce a wider colour gamut and also help to reduce power consumption by 3/4 on a purely white screen as only the white subpixel has to be lit.

The white allows lighter colours to be reproduced and will not affect the overall brightness of any specific colour just the colours lightness.

The SHARP RGBY screen adds a yellow subpixel as LCD displays have a poor ability to accurately produce vivid yellows and rich golden yellows.

the 4th sub pixels and the overall colours are still produced from the RGB input and interpreted by the display engine being used to reproduce the correct output, you can think of the display output like a multi-colour ink, inkjet printer.

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]mauller07[/nom]The RGBW grid in these oleds help to reproduce a wider colour gamut and also help to reduce power consumption by 3/4 on a purely white screen as only the white subpixel has to be lit.[/citation]But will it have it have a checkerboard pattern like RGBW pentile on LCD's? If so, you can keep it.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]mrkdilkington[/nom]But will it have it have a checkerboard pattern like RGBW pentile on LCD's? If so, you can keep it.[/citation]

Its checkerboard so its all good :)

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]I'm a big supporter of the best image possible but my 40 and 55 inch LED 120hz Samsung Tvs look perfect to me now. I dont see buying one of these until 2014 maybe at the earliest and by then something will be out or coming to replace OLED.[/citation]

besides 3D holographic displays and all that holodec sci fi stuff etc, self-emitting-sub-pixel screens (pixels light themselves) are pretty much the pinnacle of display technology you don't get any better than that.

commented a lot, but i am quite enthusiastic for this technology :D

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
This is much cheaper than I expected! Now cheap, but it is possible to actually buy one of these if you really want to. Now highend 55" cost 2000-3000$. This means that Oled can be real alternative in 2014 or 2015 to normal led tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.