LG Intros 6-inch Flexible E-Paper Plastic Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclat72

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Sign me up. Considering we've been thru 3 Kindles in the last 2 years... a friend spilled coffee on the first, she dropped the second onto a hardwood floor, and I stepped on the third that was under a dirty sweater on her side of the bed while changing the sheets... yep, we need one these.

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
3 kindles in the last 2 years...... you dont need one of this you just need to stop being so careless.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I went through two Kindles in two weeks once, which fortunately Amazon replaced, so I think this is an awesome thing which will revolutionize the E-book market (especially E-ink). I concur with del35... if Apple had made this the hype would be earth shattering. But since its LG no one notices. Hopefully, Amazon gets a license for this or something very similar soon.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]signor[/nom]3 kindles in the last 2 years...... you dont need one of this you just need to stop being so careless.[/citation]

You don't need your Kindle either buddy. You should just keep using books. Technology isn't for you.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Good to see this tech finally hitting the shelves (so to speak). Saw the prototypes for these displays 5 or 6 years ago and thought they were amazing but with all tech if it doesnt hit the market what good is it? Good to see someone took the leap. next stop "globals"

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mclat72[/nom]Sign me up. Considering we've been thru 3 Kindles in the last 2 years... a friend spilled coffee on the first, she dropped the second onto a hardwood floor, and I stepped on the third that was under a dirty sweater on her side of the bed while changing the sheets... yep, we need one these.[/citation]

you need to not treat the thing like crap.

[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]Good to see this tech finally hitting the shelves (so to speak). Saw the prototypes for these displays 5 or 6 years ago and thought they were amazing but with all tech if it doesnt hit the market what good is it? Good to see someone took the leap. next stop "globals"[/citation]

,pst flex displays never hit the market because the moment you flex it 10 times it killed the pixles, it was a concept and working prototype phase only, i wonder how this tech will turn out.

--------------

if anything, this could be applied to a rigid body, one not meant to bend, and it would allow a more durable display, one that can be flexible.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Most screens are made by LG or Samsung anyway. Both have flexi screens in different forms so wont be long till these are on a whole range of devices.

I'm an old (well, middle-aged) man. When they make a ten-inch e-ink display I will be interested. The current ones don't have enough real estate to read a decent page. I need somewhat large text, and I'm just used to having a certain amount of text visible at a time. Reading on a Kindle feels to me like reading on a cell phone - not enough text to flow properly.

This is probably because I'm old and set in my ways. My teenager loves her Kindle.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]My wife still reads old fashioned paperback novels that she gets for free. If she bends or drops a paperback nothing breaks![/citation]
When Ebook readers become waterproof it will solve all problems. Once that happens we will no longer have warped pages from wet books that you drop when you fall asleep in the hot tub.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hmmmm.... looks like PlasticLogic's display (wonder if they bought it out or licensed the tech). I was so looking forward to the Que release by PlasticLogic, then the iPad came out and they decided they couldn't compete in the eReader market with a "cheap color tablet". Loved the demo where they slammed a boot down on it and bent the display.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Looks good, but if the devices we use are still solid (instead of flexible) then what's the point?[/citation]

Simple physics. A solid screen is likely to break/shatter when dropped; a flexible one will not break.

Kinda like paint on a car. If the paint is super hard so it will not scratch easily it will break (micro cracks) if you have even a small ding; then water will creep in and rust begins under the crack. If the paint however is a bit softer and flexible it will simply stretch instead of cracking. You can hammer out minor bumps in your fender and the paint will say intact; but yes, it will also scratch a bit easier. Can not have it both ways :)

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]mclat72[/nom]Sign me up. Considering we've been thru 3 Kindles in the last 2 years... a friend spilled coffee on the first, she dropped the second onto a hardwood floor, and I stepped on the third that was under a dirty sweater on her side of the bed while changing the sheets... yep, we need one these.[/citation]

Yeah umm maybe you should just leave technology and fragile things like glass to the less clumsy and careless people. Hey maybe if they make a toddler version you could get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.