Lg Sound System ARC setup

jermarlamb

Estimable
Jul 14, 2014
I have an LG surround sound/blue ray combo that we just purchased. I have it all set up and working, but the sound to the TV keeps turning off. It will work when the setting is on ARC, but then it will turn off and I get no sound. The display says "optical" and I have no way to get back to the ARC option. The only way to get the sound back, is to turn the tv off, then back on again. It really is a pain. Why doesn't the TV sounds stay on? What is the optical option? Why does ARC disappear from the menu and is there a way to get it back without having to turn everything off and back on again?

Solution
The "Audio Return Channel", which allows a single HDMI cable to carry AV from the source to the TV and audio from the TV to the source, may be going off because the TV is losing the HDMI connection somehow. Try a different HDMI cable. If that doesn't help check with LG and see if they have a firmware upgrade.
The "Audio Return Channel", which allows a single HDMI cable to carry AV from the source to the TV and audio from the TV to the source, may be going off because the TV is losing the HDMI connection somehow. Try a different HDMI cable. If that doesn't help check with LG and see if they have a firmware upgrade.

Solution