LG STYLO 2 PLUS - Can't move file from internal memory to SD Card

kinmoy

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
I have a LG Stylo 2 plus. It has a 16GB internal memory and a 32 GB SD card external memory. However, the internal memory is full, it can no longer accept download. On the SD Card i have 29 GB free but I cant move Apps to the SD Card. Please advise on what to do?

Solution

I am having the same problem.
Well your phone should be running "Marshmallow" which, as an OS, does allow for the SD card to be converted to "Internal" rather than "External" storage. However, that said, some manufacturers have restricted that capability on their devices. To try it out you would need to start with a 'blank' SD card. Why? Because when the card is converted over it is formatted, which will wipe all data on it, and then encoded to work with only that device. So, once you have a blank SD card to try, use the following instructions, and if your device does allow for the change, you will then be able to use the card as "Internal" storage as well.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

If this doesn't work on your device, then you can only use the card as "External" storage, which will not allow for apps to run from the card. You can free up space on the phone though by moving photos, videos, music, etc. over to the SD card, freeing up space on the phone.

kinmoy

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Grateful.
However, I did as you have suggested. I formated the SD Card but the internal memory still saying full. I thought by formating the SD Card the total space available will be added to the internal storage. I have 32GB mounted.

If you followed instructions 1 - 5. It should have made the card now internal storage. Just formatting a card doesn't do it. It has to be done that way and in the device it will be used in. Also, the phone must definitely be restarted after doing all that.

Now the card should show be internal storage, that is unless LG has restricted the option. The best way to test it is to try and move an app, that wasn't movable before, over to the card.

kinmoy

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

Like I wrote earlier, I followed the instruction as stated above. However, a point to note is that, it does not give the option to "move to sd card" like every other devices.

If the phone isn't letting you move the apps, the only thing I can think would be that it is one of the devices that LG has restricted. You could try contacting them, to see if there is a way to make it work (as it should in "Marshmallow").

Otherwise, should you wish to consider rooting, you could try posting in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html and see if they can help you accomplish that. Just be sure it is what you want. It will void any warranty.

Daniel_1253

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016

I am having the same problem.

Solution

Mornstream

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
I don't know if you got It or not but I was having the same issue but I figured it out. Go to tools>file manager> ( you should see internal storage and your sd card) click on internal storage, then choose the files you want to move, click the file, check each item you want to move, click the 3 dots up in the right hand corner, hit move, then it should take you back to the screen showing internal storage and sd card, hit sd card, then at the bottom of your screen out should say "cancel" and "ok", hit ok. Hope that helps.

PlumBlossom

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014

It only has copy to not move file option....

Storm_4

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

Settings
Storage and usb
Internal storage
Apps
Click on the app you want to move and then it should show that it is saved to internal storage and click "change" then "sd card"

Lexincane

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017

I'm having the same issue. The problem is there is no change option. There isn't an option to format to internal either, only format.

John_1109

Prominent
May 10, 2017
Did you ever figure this out?
I just tried it on my Stylo 2 Plus and it didn't work for me as well. When I got to step 3 there was only "Format". There was no "Format to Internal".
Still, I went ahead with the rest of the steps to no avail.

Imaredhead946

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

Hi, have the same phone... LG Stylo 2 Plus (or aka LG Model MS550) 16gb Internal Storage running ANDROID 6.0.1 MARSHMALLOW. I ran out of storage space 2 days ago and bought a SanDisk 32gb card that included a data recovery program. When I put it in, it did not give me the option to use or format as internal storage. I even started over by using the FORMAT option on my cell phone (which caused me to lose the data recovery program that came with the sd card) but it still did not combine/increase usable internal storage. There was no option to Format as Internal Storage as I've seen in this detailed YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/8h94v8G9nxA

If I go to Settings, Storage & USB, select SD Card, then tap the dots for Menu Options, they are 1) Eject or 2) Format. That is all! No more options.

Could it be that LG put restrictions on this particular model?

Eric_211

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
First off, my phone is an LG Stylo 2 (LG LS775) running Nougat 7 and through a little creativity I managed to figure out how to force move apps to the SD card! Allow me to explain:
I was trying to move apps because my internal memory was extremely low (~148MB) . After getting into the developer options to set my USB connection type and transferring videos and music to my PC, I noticed a line that read:
"Force allow apps on external"
Being curious, I checked this setting to on and suddenly was able to move almost every app I downloaded to this phone from the 16 GB internal storage to my 128 GB SD card!

UPDATE: I realize now that my first attempt to answer this was a bit short, so here is the detailed instructions (note that this works on my LG Stylo 2 and may not be as easy on other phones, but the concept should apply)
1] Open your Settings menu and tap About Phone
2] Locate the Build Number and tap on it 7 times to access the Developer Options
3] Back in the main Settings menu, tap on Developer Options
4] Scroll through this list for a line that reads "Force Apps to External" and turn it ON. This will allow you to force move apps from Internal Memory to the SD card.
5] Go back to the main Settings menu and tap Apps (or App Manager).
6] Now, check each app on this list. Each one will tell you how much memory it takes up in Internal Storage, and most of them will also give you the option to change this by moving the app to your SD card.

Once again, this method worked on my LG Stylo 2 phone, and might not be the exact method for your own phone. Your results may also vary.

rsdealer

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

Nope. No "option" to move apps - on MS550, Nougat