LG's $10K Full HD 3D Projector Ships Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Looks like this will be a toy for the rich.

Other than that, the only other places that will probably have a use for this model will be iMax theaters and maybe a few contemporary art museums.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Well i just bought myself a yacht and a Lamborghini Reventon, this will definitely be a nice new toy for the IMAX theater I'm about to build.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I just hope it uses polarized 3D, quite disappointed by all the new 3D TV's at CES, all use Shutterglasses, which means you're probably looking at $100-200 per pair of glasses for each individual who wants to watch something on your TV in 3D.

Not a very economical option (at least for the consumer) polarized 3D glasses cost less than $10 in comparison. There's also less points of failure on polarized 3D

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
This is nowhere near the power of even the cheapest IMAX projector. (iMax, Renegade_Warrior? Seriously?) 2500 lumens isn't exactly bright, not compared to an IMAX projector (there's no way you could mount it, at, say, 50 feet from the screen and expect to get a sharp image). Then there's the fact that a standard movie theatre projector is usually around $25,000 at least (IMAX projectors cost even more). Also, IMAX projectors have a far higher resolution than 1080p.

Did I mention that an IMAX setup usually takes up a small room?

This is the kind of projector someone puts in their living rooom. It's small and (comparitively speaking), cheap. Nowhere near professional quality and not even worth considering for a real theatre.

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I just looked it up: A typical IMAX projector lamp puts out around 600,000 lumens; in other words, they are around 240x as powerful as the lamps in this projector. The lamps themselves cost around $6,000 each, weigh about 10 pounds, and are nearly 2 feet long.

In other words, the lamps themselves dwarf this projector. The only reason it's more expensive than a standard home-use projector is because it utilizes 3D. It's quite cheap.

Saying this projector is good for IMAX is like saying that your lawn mower engine can power a mining dump truck.

G

I dont know why everyone thinks that the active shutter glasses are going to be so expensive. The technology has been around for awhile, and of the last time I checked you could get 4 for $100.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
what's the refresh rate of a good hd projector these days? If you can get over 60 frames per eye then this is a bot over the top. just need some awful looks glasses to sync up and away you go.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Shutter glasses and polarized glasses aren't that bad. Yes, they are ugly now, but if the tech actually takes a hold in the market Oakley and other mainstream sunglasses manufacturers would be missing out on a huge market for bad ass looking pairs you can lose in your couch and crush (just like their sunglasses).

G

I know nothing about the tech - but I saw a 3D display - awesome!!!! I felt like it would be a perfect way to have real cinema in the house (if of course you have a little space for effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.