LG's Beautiful 55-inch OLED TV is Now On Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

as much as its pointless for the price, this is innovation not a rectangle with curved edges

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Only way I would pay that much is if it came with the model. Don't get me wrong, OLED is more vibrant and native 4K content is phenomenal I am sure but there just isn't enough of it available at the moment to make me want to drop $10K on a TV.

Once they start releasing more 4K content and the price decreases, I will think about making the leap. I am often an early adopter, but that price is just too big to be reasonable.

DoofusOfDeath

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I'm curious how the color gamut of these displays compares to the gamut of current LCD monitors, and to the gamut of the CCD's used in good-quality SLR cameras.

If the gamut is larger than current LCD's, I could imagine that changing the kinds of photographs taken by the professionals.

MKBL

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
PDP of the similar size used to cost over $15K, and now $1K. Such things as gamut, contrast ratio, response rate, etc. don't matter much to general consumers. They mostly exist only in lab settings. As long as its display shows vivid color (to consumers' eyes, not on spec) and total package provides light/thin physical characters, OLED TV will create new market for TV makers, unlike failed 3D TV. I bought my PDP TV 5 years ago, planning to buy OLED 10 years later. It took PDP 6-7 years to go from $15K to $1.5K. I hope OLED will go down to $1K by the time when I would buy one, 5 years from now.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Agree 8K is dirt cheap for a limited run first of its kind TV. Many in prior history have been much more. Speaks to how cheap they can make them so we should see the prices come down fast when they go into mass production.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]$8,000 is a bargain for this, considering the first 42" plasma 480i was $14,999 about a decade ago.[/citation]
Are you high? It was no more than $2000 10 years ago.

G

"Don't get me wrong, OLED is more vibrant and native 4K content is phenomenal I am sure but there just isn't enough of it available at the moment to make me want to drop $10K on a TV."

You do realize the eye cannot tell the difference between 1080 and 4k until the screen starts to approach 80in+ right? As the lines are so small you cannot really benefit from it on anything less than 80in.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]daaajester[/nom] You do realize the eye cannot tell the difference between 1080 and 4k until the screen starts to approach 80in+ right? As the lines are so small you cannot really benefit from it on anything less than 80in.[/citation]

I think you need to see smaller displays with 4K resolution before you make your "conclusions".
Quite visible on smaller sized TVs.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I was hoping to get an OLED sometime soon, but at 8 - 10K US, I opted to go for a 50" LG PDP this past December. At $650 for the 50", IMHO, it was quite a bargain. When OLED drops to that price range, I'll pick one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.