Library of Congress Archiving Every Twitter Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Spectacular waste of space, but I do see the idea behind it. Think of it as a cyber time capsule. I would imagine someone in the future will be interested in the admittedly unspectacular things we have floating in pop culture.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Tax payer money going into important tweets I'm ok with, now as for those TMI (too much information) ones, it makes no sense. Leave that to social magazines which will do a very good job of archiving "the breakup of Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy, and other significant global events." (the way this phrase is written leads to believe the writer thinks that Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy breaking up is significant global event...)

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Have they (Library of Congress) created the perfect internet library yet? Have they run out of all existing media to digitize? -- And all they have left is tweets? BTW, what is the current US national debt?

hameem

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
"It is our pleasure to donate access to the entire archive of public Tweets to the Library of Congress for preservation and research,"
Awesome!! they will research on how someone broke up!! errrr.... Cool

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I think it's just a bunch of bureaucrats trying to line their pockets - applying for government funding to do this crap. "The President Tweets -- It MUST be important!"

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]This is a load of bull. They want to store the tweets and and sugar coated the news as they are doing the noble thing.[/citation]
This is possibly a noble thing. Once something is on the internet, it can never be fully removed (isn't that one of the laws?). Also, this will give great opportunities to research our culture, why we're so addicted to social networking, and also the evolution of society as a whole, based on the commonpersons thoughts. As long as the information is public and not just horded by the US government I am all in favour of this.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Heard about this yesterday. Talk about worthless effort. But then again, I think many people would consider most of what the Library of Congress archives "worthless". If someones wants to store old Playboy mags, Tweets, Beatles Albums, etc.. that's fine, but when they want to do it with my money, that's a problem.

Historical value my eye. The Library of congress should archive things that would be tragic if lost (i.e. original works of the founding fathers), not something worthless like Tweets. Tweets aren't in danger, they will only disappear when the world stops caring about Twitter anyway, so why bother archiving them once no one cares anymore?

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
wouldn't it be better to archive the NY times, CNN.com or some other reputable news source than some random internet dude who may be twitering about his sore thumb.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]wouldn't it be better to archive the NY times, CNN.com or some other reputable news source than some random internet dude who may be twitering about his sore thumb.[/citation]

Hey, that thumb is important, Forget North Korea, They may be on to something here

(Jokes)

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Apparently many of you havn't heard of primary documents. Twitter is a history researchers dream come true. As they said, it documents events as they happen and reflects people's reactions to them. Hats off to the Library of Congress for realized what an important resource tweets will be for future generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.