Licensing Question via Desktop vs Laptop

Jake Mitchell

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Hi! I have a quick question regarding licensing "restrictions" via a piece of software.

I am getting ready to make a rather "large" purchase of Red Giant video editing software. I have a desktop at both my work and at home, which I work at home from quite often. With the purchase of this software, it says that you get a license that allows you to download the software to both 1 desktop and 1 laptop device.

Since I work on a Desktop in both locations, I'm wondering if this is more of a "request" by Red Giant, or if theres a way they can actually detect what type of machine it is being installed on? I would like to install it on both my work desktops (both my home and physically at work locations), and definitely cannot afford to purchase everything twice.

Do you know if theres an actual way they can detect that your second "license" is being installed on a laptop vs a desktop? Is it just a request hoping that most people will just do it but they have no way of actually making sure the second download is being downloaded to one or the other? If indeed they CAN detect it, is there a somewhat easy way of getting it on both desktops (easy way of making it think it's a laptop? what does it use to identify it as such?).

The last option is obviously my least wanted choice as I'd rather not have to "spoof" things, and just be able to download the software I purchase, but it would be extreeeemely inconvenient for me to only be able to use it on one PC when I have 2 that I am constantly going back and forth between.

Thanks everyone!

Solution
I agree with jecket. Contacting their service department will be your best bet. Software can detect hardware that is typical in a laptop, but it seems strange that they would just restrcit it to a dektop and laptop instead of just two devices.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
I can't imagine they would have a pointless restriction like that which would ultimately prevent certain people from buying their product (i.e. people who have two desktops or two laptops instead of one of each)... Do they have a support phone number or email you can contact them with and ask about it?

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
I agree with jecket. Contacting their service department will be your best bet. Software can detect hardware that is typical in a laptop, but it seems strange that they would just restrcit it to a dektop and laptop instead of just two devices.

Solution