wouterbruijninckx

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
My current laptop (hp envy dv6 15.6") is kind of dying, so I'm looking for replacement.
My hp is quite heavy to walk around with a whole day, so I would like a lighter device:
max +-2kg
max +-20mm thick
size: 13-15.6"

I'm going to use it for microsoft office, and some lighter autoCAD/archiCAD, photoshop, illustrator and programming.. so mostly graphical 2 and 3D work.
I have a good desktop so it shouldn't be able to render fast or handle super large projects.
I just want it to be small and portable, but also fast so I can work without lag.

I was looking at the Zenbook Pro ux501, Lenovo Yoga 2, Dell XPS13/15, Microsoft Surface (i5/7/256ssd/8ram) but the thing is, for that kind of money i could almost buy something like the MSI GS60 with i7-4710HQ/4720HQ, 16GB RAM, dedicated 970m gpu etc...
What are your opinions about this? What would be best value for money?

At the moment my laptop still works, so I could wait for Skylake, but the thing is, I would like to have an option already if he would completely crash (for the 5th time in barely 2 years :p)

edit: budget <1500EUR (I live in Belgium btw idk if that helps for research)

wouterbruijninckx

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
So after some looking around, I relly like the Dell XPS13 (2015) but I have 2 concerns:
1. I see a lot of people complaining about Dell customer care and overall quality of their laptops, is it really that bad? I start to get the feeling that all laptop manufacturers are bad, except Apple, but I want to stay with windows...
2. The XPS has no dedicated GPU, will the i5 or i7 with HD5500 graphics be able to run photoshop, autoCAD and others? I really want an ultra portable device, but I just need to be able to do some (short) autoCAD sessions in the classroom, or open some programming projects or photoshop projects smoothly for feedback sessions...

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
What your hasking is like saying you want a fast car that's good on gas. Thin and light in computer means save saving energy versus performance. You will need a little power for what you want to do so the MSI will be a safer pick and just work with it plugged in.

wouterbruijninckx

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
Well I know that performance will increase size, but the thing is, I have an 6-core 32gig desktop that I can use in the evenings, I need something light for in the classroom, where I can't always plug it in, so it needs to be light, portable and have a decent battery life, but I have architecture classes where I need to do some photoshop or autoCAD work, so it needs to be able to run those programs, but I don't need it to be blazing fast, I can do heavyer editing and rendering on my desktop. I just don't want to wait 5-10 seconds after clicking on a tool in autoCAD or PS on my laptop :p