Lightest antivirus for 3GB RAM?

Mohammed Masri

Estimable
May 13, 2015
Hi, I want to install the lightest but yet an effective antivirus, my laptop is a Pentium dual core, with 3GB of RAM, my main usage is surfing the web and college stuff, I don't like the software popups when working and I hate it when the antivirus slows the computer when it scans or finds some threat.. I have tried Avira (the paid version) and I couldn't keep it, every single time it finds a threat it takes ages to finish its "scanning system" process.. so please please help me choose what's good for me.. and I have no problem with paying again for a good antivirus.. thanks :)

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
The is a topic around here with thousands of AV suggestions, however I recently tested Panda security FREE which compared to AVG had better performance and scored among the "Big antivirus names" for cleaning/blocking threads. My machine have 2GB ram and with only skype running on background with AVG it had like ~60% mem use. With Panda that use dropped to 45-50%
You havent said what OS you have so this is the only suggestion i can offer

Mohammed Masri

Estimable
May 13, 2015

I am sorry, yes I forgot to mention that I am using Windows 7 64bit, thanks for your suggestion :)

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
well MSE is light and silent but i dont find it that reliable when it comes to protection, to me it seems lately its made to run with other softs. another AV which is also very light and silent and you can give a try is Bitdefender