Lightweight Gaming - 13"-14" IVB+650M Machines?

videsupra

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hello all, Ive asked this question on other boards with no luck - hoping the pros here have some insight!

Hello all - I'm looking to upgrade in the next month to a small gaming machine. I would like IVB (unless SB would be just as good? Not really sure if IVB is worth the investment?) and 650M Kepler or better. I want to keep it small - 14" or lower and under 5lbs, preferably closer to 4lb or less.

Right now, with the disappointing 640LE in the Y480, I'm stuck looking at the 11.6" Sager NP6110. It looks like a great little machine but is just a bit too small for my taste. If I can't find anything else, I'll get it, but for now Im holding out for something more the size I'm looking for.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$1000-$1200 (max, closer to 1k or lower the better)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Don't care - I like well build machines (read NO FLIMSY SCREEN HINGES)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Don't care but I dont expect IVB/650M to be available within the next month in refurb condition.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming (D3, Skyrim, BF3), photo work (Photoshop/Lightroom), and Office Work (PPT, etc). Will be plugging into an external 1080p monitor, so need something that can run on that smoothly.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both. I'd say 70/30 desk/travel. But when I travel its 10hr days staring at the screen on the move, which is what worries me about 11.6" size or 5lb+ weight.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes - as stated above mostly RPG/MMORPG/MOBAs - some FPS (don't need ultra settings but would like to future proof as much as possible).

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Don't care. Anything over 3-4hr of office work (office/excel/ppt) is fine. Will be plugged in for gaming.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Any version of W7 Home Premium or higher is fine.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?

Resolution isn't a big deal for me, I'm fine with a x768 screen since most of my work will be on a 1080p monitor.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

Glossy is fine, whatever is cheaper.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

The Alienware is ugly. I like minimalistic and slick. Clevo/Sagers are perfect re:style.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Ideally prior to May 20. Potentially as late as late June.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

My current machine has served me for 5 years. I'd love a 4+ year machine but 3 would be good too.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

SSD if its worth the money - don't think I really need it but I won't turn it down if the price is right. 500gb is fine for HD.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Don't need one - if I can get one I'd love a Blu-Ray drive. Not necessary though - anything goes here.

Currently, I can't find anything. The Lenovo Y480, which was supposed to come packing a 650M, was released with a less than stellar 640LE GPU. The Asus N46 got downgrade to a 635M. The Alienware is too heavy and too expensive.

I'm looking at the 11.6" Sager as my only saving grace. I'd like something a little bigger than an 11.6", but it seems that what I'm looking for simply doesn't exist. Would love to be proven wrong!

IntelEnthusiast

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Right now none of the dual core 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors (otherwise known as Ivy Bridge) has not been released. The Intel Core i3 and Intel Core i5 processors for mobile are all going to be dual core processors. So you will have to wait until some of these processors are released in the next month or two for us to give you some advice.

The big difference in between 2nd generation and 3rd generation Intel Core processors in a thin light form factor laptop is the Intel HD 4000 Graphics vs. the 2nd generation Intel Core and their Intel HD3000. Which in a thin and light form factor laptop can make a big difference on your gaming performance.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

videsupra

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

The i7 Quad Core HAS been announced and is shipping in larger gaming machines. Also, the graphics performance I will need is going to require more than integrated graphics, hence my desire fora 650M+ Kepler GPU. Do you expect more to be announced once the dual core IVBs come out or am I waiting for nothing?

videsupra

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

Good to know. I need to make an order by late June - do you think that will be possible?

DanLopan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I'm in the exact same position as this (considering the NP6110 but I'd really prefer a 13" ideally).

Any updates on which IVB with 650m laptops are out there now? I haven't noticed any.