LimeWire Sued for $75 Trillion, Judge Denies

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Those guys should be locked up in a mental institution if they thought that 75 trillion amount would ever fly.

To be fair, that income could be taxed at ~35%, or just over 25 Trillion USD. That kinda solves our debt problem...

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
For the simple fact they wanted $75T, the judge should award $1 in damages and no punitive damages at all.

In reference to the taxes, only punitive damages are taxable, but the attorneys in the case would get 30-40% of the damage award, and therefore be taxed at 35%.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Tom's should write a solid, objective and detailed story on the facts regarding "piracy" - what's legal, what's not - what is the fundamental argument on both sides. The issue now is just too emotional and too muddy, and it's time the entire issue is rationalized. I thought that piracy is actually, legally speaking, simply file sharing - am I wrong? And no, I'm not asking about right and wrong, I'm asking about the law and how it classifies and addresses it.

G

How much did the Limewire guys actually make on that program, because one word would take care of them....

BANKRUPTCY

Record industry doesn't get squat....game over.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
"As defendants note, plaintiffs are suggesting an award that is 'more money than the entire music recording industry has made since Edison's invention of the phonograph in 1877,'" Wood added.

This is the key to the absurdity of the claim. The point of statutory damages is to recover losses where the actual value is not known (who knows how many of those pirated songs led to a loss on the part of the music industry). That is why its an arbitrary $150,000 per song, because someone somewhere thought that sounded like a reasonable fee. And even at that fee, 10,000 songs is 1.5 billion dollars (I doubt the record industry lost anywhere near this much as a result of limewire, but who knows).

To claim they are owed more money as a result of their loss then they've ever made in history should be criminal, and I'm glad the judge struck it down in this case.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Tom's should write a solid, objective and detailed story on the facts regarding "piracy" - what's legal, what's not - what is the fundamental argument on both sides. The issue now is just too emotional and too muddy, and it's time the entire issue is rationalized. I thought that piracy is actually, legally speaking, simply file sharing - am I wrong? And no, I'm not asking about right and wrong, I'm asking about the law and how it classifies and addresses it.[/citation]
read the first page of any book printed in america.

i've researched alot of the copyright and patent laws on how to get a few of my ideas patented and copyrighted. having read about 1/2 the relevant material regarding both copy right and patents it's a night mare that could be simplified into about 3-5 paragraphs if all lawyers and judges were sent to the bottom of the ocean. i say i read half of it because most of it is irrelevant b.s. to make lawyers rich just from hourly charges alone. most of the legal system is that way.
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour?
Thomas Jefferson

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Im pretty sure the heads of the entertainment industry and thier lawyers sit in boardrooms all day smoking crack. $75 Trillion for christ sake, do these guys operate some random number generator /facepalm

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
It all started with the cd, when the cd came out, there was a royalty for the cd players. On top of that the price jumped from about $4.99 to $8.99 per vinyl LP to $17.99 to 21.99 for cd's.
I bought a 5 disk cd player a cheap citizen brand it was i think $300, some other better brands were over $500. LP's had of course the cost of turntable maintenance and carbon fiber cleaning brushes that wore out, to run a turntable you had to buy a new cartridge or diamond needle about every 6 months, if it was belt drive sometimes but rare the belt would break, the turntable also had to be cleaned/oiled calibrated when you replaced the needle or cartridge. If you did not keep this up you can damage the LP's. In the end you spent about $30 to $100/year.
At the beginning the record companies tried to say the cd was more expensive but you saved cash because they were maintenance free. But $20 per cd was a bit steep.
A little while later the cd-rw's came out on computers with the 4x cdrw. It took 20 mins to copy a cd at 4x. At $20 per cd what do you think people did?
The record companies did this to themselves by being greedy. Also at $20 a cd there was no room for budget bands that used to start out with $4.99 albums. At $4.99 you were like "oh ok ill take a chance on them." So the emerging bar bands got pushed aside.
This was before the internet and limewire or napster.

I think basically they want to bankrupt limewire so the name can be bought out and used as a music sales site just like napster is today. The same thing happened with napster. It was bankrupted and bought out by the music companies.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Nexus52085[/nom]Goodbye, Limewire.[/citation]

There is a Lime Wire Pirate Version on the Torrents if you want it.

Nothing is ever gone from the internet!!

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
75 trillion dollars? That's it, just to see the look on the judge's face I'm going to sue my brother for a quadrillion dollars for breaking one of my toys when I was 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.