Limit Archive size to? Dont know what it does and how it effects scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madne$$

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hi Members,

I know this Q probably gets asked alot, Ive owned a fair few AV scanners from Norton, Fsecure, Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

This option is always in the scanning advanced window and I have never known how much MB I should do?

Where does it apply to?
Does it effect scanning performance?

Thanks guys

Best regards,
Madne$$

Solution
Most malware scanners will extract the contents of archives like zip files to scan their contents, but large archives can take a while to extract, so that could significantly drive up scanning time if the limit is set too high. If an archive is above this limit, its contents shouldn't get scanned, at least until they've been extracted by the user.

Without such options, it's also possible that malware could create special archive files with big empty files that could potentially slow down or freeze the scanner.

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Most malware scanners will extract the contents of archives like zip files to scan their contents, but large archives can take a while to extract, so that could significantly drive up scanning time if the limit is set too high. If an archive is above this limit, its contents shouldn't get scanned, at least until they've been extracted by the user.

Without such options, it's also possible that malware could create special archive files with big empty files that could potentially slow down or freeze the scanner.

Solution

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
If you need multiple opinions, Cryoburner sums it up. Seconding his opinion with not much to add.

And no, this is not a commonly asked question (Not as far as I am aware).

It affects scanning time (In theory it is related to performance)

Status
Not open for further replies.