Line-In Mic muting itself every 5-10 or 15 seconds. (Please Help!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
So I figured it out, My mic is Stereo mix, apparently. I can hear myself with it, and my friend can hear me. But it keeps muting itself! I had this problem before with another mic, but I don't really remember how to fix it. Help? Allow Other apps to take exclusive control is off, I disabled Automatically adjust microphone volume in skype, I set the Communications option To Do Nothing. Theres no svchost.exe under my name, and yes i've tried restarting. What's going on?

Solution
EDIT: I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!! :DDD I Just closed A LOT of tasks with CMD, Using "tasklist" I killed A LOT of tasks that were, as far as it goes, unused, and it hasn't muted itself! I'm so happy! Thank you for your help! Btw! :D Another Edit: It was Microsoft Resgister Server, it had 3 going at one in the Details tab of Task manager, and I killed the three of them with CMD at the same time so they don't come back, and it worked! :D

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014

Well as far as it goes, Got nothing... This only really ever happens with my Line-In headphones, and NEVER With any of my USB Ones. So I'm planning on getting a new headset, Because I'm really at a dead-end.

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
AHG! I BOUGHT A NEW USB HEADSET AND ITS STILL MUTING ITSELF AND SETTING VOLUME BACK TO ZERO! HELP!

I did find out something new though. Whenever my mic mutes, and goes to Zero, Device manager refreshes, as if maybe it deletes the device and re adds it? Could this be possible?

Also, In the New headsets program, I can set it to hear myself, and even though the mic is muted and NOTHING else can hear it, I can still hear it in the program!

Blasing

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
EDIT: I FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!! :DDD I Just closed A LOT of tasks with CMD, Using "tasklist" I killed A LOT of tasks that were, as far as it goes, unused, and it hasn't muted itself! I'm so happy! Thank you for your help! Btw! :D Another Edit: It was Microsoft Resgister Server, it had 3 going at one in the Details tab of Task manager, and I killed the three of them with CMD at the same time so they don't come back, and it worked! :D

Solution

Dennis_92

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

So is this still working as I have the same issue as you can you advise exactly what you did my mic just mutes after 5sec
Thanks Dennis