Link Found Between Net Addiction, Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
i guess im an internet addict. i spend most of my time with my girl having *** when im not using my pc. and i DO get depressed alot lately. now if only i can afford going to the gym.. maybe..

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
My intuition tells me that depressed people use the internet to forget about real life. There are countless distractions for whatever flavor you enjoy.

G

Jack Thompson needs to think like this, "Do video games make people more violent or are violent people drawn to violent video games?" Obvious answer but this way of thinking is not too common. (/off topic)

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Very interesting article; really makes me wonder.

I used to be a depressed several years ago. I think my life started to seem better once I left my old girlfriend. My internet addiction is probably stronger than it has ever been and I don't think I've ever been happier. Lucky me, right?

solanis

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Ugh, I'm guessing someone wanted to do their thesis on something up-to-the-minute and exciting.

1319 is a VERY small sample size, especially considering it's self-selected. Self selection would tend to exclude those they are supposedly trying to identify, as those with clinical major depression generally wouldn't respond.

This seems to be such a badly conceived experiment I'd say ignore the article entirely. Not even going to bother critiquing it further, as the two points i mentioned above put it in such shaky territory right out of the gate.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
at the moment myself i'm depressed or may be stressed out i have loads of crap to study and i just can't find the will to do it, when i just cant face the words i tend to go to tom's and check for news.
to tell the true, i get depressed when i'm not enjoying people's presence. But who knows i dont see myself as an addict i can spend weeks without internet, hell yes i miss it when i'm bored but i dot die for it either. I had a really crappy day today and thats depressing.

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Dkz[/nom]at the moment myself i'm depressed or may be stressed out i have loads of crap to study and i just can't find the will to do it, when i just cant face the words i tend to go to tom's and check for news.to tell the true, i get depressed when i'm not enjoying people's presence. But who knows i dont see myself as an addict i can spend weeks without internet, hell yes i miss it when i'm bored but i dot die for it either. I had a really crappy day today and thats depressing.[/citation]

Not only that, if you can't identify if the people were depressed before or after internet usage. The whole study is pointless.
It doesn't show any more link between depression and people than saying "Hey! In a new study, we've found a link between being alive and depression" When one has to be true for the other to be true, (You have to be alive to be depressed)
Basically they probably could've done the same study with the same people, switched internet usage for tv watching, and found the same link.

solanis

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
@dkz

I sympathise that you're unhappy but I'd guess that you aren't depressed. Depression is not just feeling sad or crappy, it's generally caused by chronic problems with your neurochemistry. Unfortunately the general usage of "depressed" and the clinical use of "depressed" are poles apart.

To get over the problem you're having: try making a task list and breaking down the stuff you need to do into small tasks. Then prioritise that list and do little bits at a time with breaks of specific lengths (e.g., 10-15 mins; not "OK, now I get to read Tom's for a while" but "Now I can read Tom's for 15 mins"). Once you do this, you can generally start to identify how you need to proceed. Facing what you see as a huge task does the same to everyone: Where the hell do I start?!? Oh stuff it, I can forget I have to do anything if I :D

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
what i dont understand is why they would even question it being the internet...i mean, what element of the internet would have a constant negative influence on people? all you're doing is reading and typing. are they suggesting that playing call of duty with a few friends and reading articles (such as this one) and doing research and checking facebook 5-8 hours a day causes depression?

or, does it sound more likely for the internet to be an escape for people who dont want to deal with their problems/issues...an avoidance. of which people do this all the time with drugs as well as smoking, drinking, sex and many other things. the internet is just a safer, modern version.

ppl just hate the internet and want it to die. XD

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I agree with solanis. I suffer from clinical depression, and simply being stressed out and overwhelmed is nowhere near the intensity of real depression. it is completely consuming, so utterly overpowering that it's completely halted my life before. I am addicted to the internet, yes, but it is a symptom of the depression, it doesn't cause it. I use the internet to escape, to try and make myself feel better by entertaining myself.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Who gets paid for these studies? First internet addiction, then game addiction, now the internet might cause depression. Man they will give money to anyone to find a link to anything bad. Here is a little something these researchers should know: Too much of just about anything is bad for you.

I went through a depression for about 2 years. It sucked. To give those who do not know an idea: Your engine is stalled but the wheels are still spinning and with no direction in sight and the gps ran out of juice and the fold out map got sucked out the window. It blows. Anyway the internet does not cause depression imo. If a depressed person is always on the net I think the real symptoms were there long before. This would just be an outward indication of something more. But don't get me wrong just cause someone plays a lot of games or is online a lot does not mean they are addicted or depressed they just might really like computers. I do.

So take these "studies" with a gain of salt.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
People who are depressed will find something to "punish" themselves with... just like a person who is angry will pick on memories to fuel that anger.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Maybe, just maybe, everyone suffers from different levels of depression at different times (not major depression, but momentary bouts) and that just about everyone has different ways to deal with it.

Feeling unhappy? Surprise surprise, you'll find something to make you happy, like shopping, driving, sports, tv, internet, gaming, socializing, drinking etc... I think I've come to the realization that everybody will do what they want to do... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.