Linus Torvalds Hates Phones; Loves Nexus One

Status
Not open for further replies.

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Sure he wouldn't like iPhone, which is based on Mac OS X, which is based on BSD (Unix). The whole idea of Linux was to bury Unix...

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
"but the day it was reported that it finally had the pinch-to-zoom thing enabled, I decided to take the plunge."

thats all it takes to impress him and have a change of heart on phones in general?

thats like saying "I've always hated cellphones on the whole..but since this one has a 3rd button on the side I thought 'hmm maybe I was all wrong about phones"

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
wtf would i care what Linus Torvalds wants?

Seriously i have nothing against him or unix/linix/os10/win I just really could care less what phone gates uses or jobs or anyone else.

This would have been interesting if had chosen iphone or "xp phone" but really to me this is like saying Steve Jobs uses an Iphone. Or the sky is blue...

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I ditched my cellphone 2 years ago. I now only own a prepaid that I charge and throw in the glove compartment for family trips.
To be honest I haven't been happier in years. It was a liberating experience.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]THIS JUST IN!Bill Gates prefers Windows 7![/citation]
Excellent.

Breaking News!!!

Steve Jobs has finally found a phone he can enjoy! Psssh, NO, I ain't sayin the name.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]"a cellphone to me is just an opportunity to be irritated wherever you are."That's the part I liked.[/citation]That's because it's THE TRUTH. You have obviously been freed from the The Matrix. Join the club.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Ummm... Linus is the father of the Linux kernel... Linux the system as a whole (GNU Linux) is more of a Richard Stallman creation. Can we stop the misinformation about Linus being the father of Linux?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]serkol[/nom]Sure he wouldn't like iPhone, which is based on Mac OS X, which is based on BSD (Unix). The whole idea of Linux was to bury Unix...[/citation]
I thought the whole idea was:
Hello everybody out there using minix -
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).
I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :)
Linus (torva...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
:)
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Ummm... Linus is the father of the Linux kernel... Linux the system as a whole (GNU Linux) is more of a Richard Stallman creation. Can we stop the misinformation about Linus being the father of Linux?[/citation]
He is the Father of Linux. I think you mean he's not the father of GNU/Linux. You could definitely assign him partial custody there, though, but now this metaphor is all strained and soupy. Blech.

I'm still using my old Nokia 6010. It's got... Java games... and a calender... um, that's it. Wonder if I can put Linux on it...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Make an article about what phone i like to use ... seriously i don`t really care about what this guy likes or dislikes.

killblade

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
He said he was not interested in the Nexus until they had pinch and zoom features – Features that are stolen from Iphone – Apple invented the whole thing and going by all the reviews it is still the best . Google has just stolen all of Apples ideas. How do they sleep at night knowing they are profiting off others genius. I heard Iphone is going to start using Bing search - so thats them finished.

G

Killblades never seen a Palm touch screen device(Old school device prob made before you were born)...not multiple touch btw but how much of a step is that and how can any one say they invented the whole thing when all they really have is good patent lawyer...Try and use the 'iPod or apple' name watch apple sue away then ask Fujitsu about their 'iPad' device (years old) and who owned the 'iPhone' name before apple just used it... Apple Sued the 'Beatles' over their use of the 'Apple on their record label'. The list just goes on and on and on. But please dont research just 'live the dream'.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I got rid of my Home phone, I only use a Cel phone now. The truth is, you don't have to answer if you don't want to and you can turn the rigner off as well!

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Who?No seriously, what has he done recently.[/citation]

/boggle

Well he's still actually involved in quality kernel development - let's see, the first kernel of any O/S to natively support USB3 for example?

james_lankford

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Who?No seriously, what has he done recently. It's like watching Alan Turing walkibng through silicon valley thinking he's all that.[/citation]

what a fucking idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.