Solved! Linux And Security with Windows Hard Drive

Arakkan

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello everyone! I recently put Ubuntu on a usb so I can do a little beginner coding. I also like to watch tv from a couple of sketchy sites (Netflix why don't you have anything abaible to stream?)

A few of these sites /might/ have viruses, and I would rather be safe than sorry, so I was thinking of going to them while using Ubuntu because I heard that very few viruses are written for Linux.

My question is that could going to infected websites still infect my windows OS since it shares the same hard disk as my Ubuntu OS? My reasoning is that the virus would be written to the hard disk while I'm using Ubuntu, then when I switch over to Windows it would become active. Maybe its crazy (and it probably is) but I just thought that I'd ask.

Thank you!

Solution
While using Linux, malware/viruses will fail to install.
if it puts something into the disk, it will be limited to Linux browser cache or downloads folder.
if you do not open those files while using windows, there is no harm.

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Depend of the virus/work your system is infect and it does? True - there are less virus developed for Linux, but people that written them are smart enough. Most virus are designed for specific OS and wont work on multi platform, there could be exception but they are not that many.

n0ns3ns3

Commendable
May 25, 2016
While using Linux, malware/viruses will fail to install.
if it puts something into the disk, it will be limited to Linux browser cache or downloads folder.
if you do not open those files while using windows, there is no harm.

Solution

Arakkan

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Would that also apply to USB drives? Because I know that sometimes a virus loads itself onto a USB stick, then loads itself onto any other computer it is hooked up to.