Linux is bad thermal profile for laptop?

okieiam

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Hi,
I have been running Debian from jessie to sid, Ubuntu from 14.04 to 16.04 in 2 of my laptops, an Asus and a Lenovo dual boot Windows. Temperature and battery run time seem better in both laptops under Windows. In Windows, all peripheral is managed and power status is monitor real time in various softwares. In contrast, Linux is lack a lot of power management facility, just to name a few: fan management, discrete GPU, hdd management, speedstep, acpi ...
I observe battery degradation in an Asus laptop under severe Linux usage.
So I have a concern.
Linux should not be installed for laptop?
Thanks

Charles A Peirce

Estimable
May 19, 2015
Hi okieiam,

Ubuntu, and most other Linux distributions (all the ones I have tried) have effective power management that rivals that available in Windows. I have used use Linux on laptops for about 5 years now, and the only problem I have had is an old battery (more than ten years) which was dying anyway. Linux makes it last longer than I can get from Windows, even with the most severe power management that Windows can offer.

As you use Ubuntu, try the power management instructions from Unbuntu.com at the end on this link.

You will find plenty there for fan management, HDD and CPU power saving modes, savings from sound card management (I can't find that one on my Windows 8.1 laptop), wifi power and more.

Have fun,
Charles