patterfield

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015
Hey All,

Preface:
ASUS RoG (371-G((etc.)))
64-bit OS (Windows 8)
16gb DDR3
Two Storage Drives (1 TB HDD & 512 gb SSD)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Intel HD Graphics 4600

I am writing in to check on this recent problem of mine that appears to be related to my computer, rather than a specific game.

(Steam and all its games sit on my HDD while Origin and all of its games sit on my SSD)

Fifa 16 and MGS 5 are the ones I have recently been playing, and I am noticing that during load screens of each game, if I sort through the 'tips' for MGS 5 or if I walk away from my computer during FIFa's 'pre-game' load screen - I come back to a black screen/my desktop to where the game no longer plays. Music does however run in the background of my fifa game. I noticed that during my time switching teams to a new season, the game would freeze-produce robot noises- then blackout and continue on with the music, but rendering the game unplayable and requiring a reboot.

I am currently connected to a seperate monitor, so I have my Asus laptop screen and another Vizio TV monitor with an HDMI cable for the other screen. I have tried testing it on just my laptop screen and I receive the same problem.

My idea as of right now is to remove and re-install my NVidia software. Although I would like to avoid this unless you all think this is the likely culprit.

I have had this laptop for about six months now and have never encountered this issue until this last week. It ran successfully without error even after Nvidia's Battlefront III update, up until the last few days that is.

I am encountering this on both my HDD and SSD with various game platforms as I mentioned (ie. Steam and Origin)

I thought it was a Fifa 16 problem originally, being that it started about a day or two after I downloaded and installed Fifa (chalking it up to a bug in-game which would be resolved with further updates)

But I have now noticed it on MGS 5 as well, which has never caused any system problems/slow downs before.

I currently (and have always) had my laptop raised slightly off my desk with a large laptop fan beneath it constantly running, along with my side-fan getting ample room to breath.

One more thing to mention. NOT always, but SOMETIMES when the game crashes during these bizarre blackout bouts, I hear the fan revving up to abnormal speeds/sound.

Turning it off and on again will always fix this. It seems extremely weird to me, considering that sometimes Fifa does not crash altogether, but allows me to continue and select and save certain things in the background of this black screen.

The rest of my computer functions normally before-during-and after these in-game blackouts AND I am able to restart said games moments later and pick up (roughly) where I left off.

Thanks for the advice in advance and if I need to provide anything else, I will. I believe my laptop has pre-overheating shutdowns implemented into it and has never shutdown to date.

Solution
Hi,

It's always safe to uninstall/reinstall your graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the NVIDIA graphics card driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics as well.
- Download and install the graphics card driver from NVIDIA support site.
- Here's the link where you can download it: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect.
- After the reboot make sure to set all your games to run using NVIDIA processor.
Hi,

It's always safe to uninstall/reinstall your graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the NVIDIA graphics card driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics as well.
- Download and install the graphics card driver from NVIDIA support site.
- Here's the link where you can download it: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect.
- After the reboot make sure to set all your games to run using NVIDIA processor.

Solution